NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing Report 23rd June 2009 - Fantastic!

ashenlight

Well, thanks to Catanonia's little kick up the bum I got outside at about 11:30pm, after letting the scope cool down a little (doesn't take long this time of year does it...) :headbang:

I did a quick balance of the scope (trying to learn to do it without needing manual) and took in the night sky for about 20 minutes. To be honest it wasn't very dark at all so I don't think I needed too long to get dark adapted. After about 20 mins I could make out many more stars so I was satisfied with this.

Now, as many of you will remember from my thread of FRUSTRATION a couple of weeks ago, I have had a struggle locating M57. Not tonight though :) Big thank you to all those who gave my advice and tips on how to locate this beautiful planetary nebula. I placed my red dot finder firmly between the two bottom stars of the Lyra parallelogram and, using the 25mm EP (giving me 26x mag I believe) I slowly scanned the area looking for the blurred star Carol (Talitha) had mentioned. Low and behold, using averted vision to scan in the FOV, something smokey grey and very much blurred popped into sight. I centred it and used averted vision to peruse the object. It was slightly elliptical and I could make out a doughnut shape of grey stuff, with the doughnut hole being very much darker in appearance. It looked like a elliptical ring of dust! I am convinced this was M57. What a joy, my sister was lying on the sofa in the conservatory watching me and jumped up in shock when I started going "yes! yes! I got you you little <insert expletive here>!" and punching the air. What a thrill :) I upped the mag a little inserting the 2x barlow, giving me the equivalent of a 12.5mm EP and so 52x mag and even though the light from the object was stretched out a little, making it fainter, with averted vision this beautiful, tiny, but perfectly formed planetary nebula stared right back at me. It is, as lots of you have said, UBER UBER TINY. I can only appreciate this now - to all those suffering with M57 frustration align your red dot finder to within an inch of its life! This helped greatly with me. So, after this triumph, I thought I'd chill a little bit and split me some doubles ;) On to Albireo :)

Marking the head of Cygnus the Swan, this star is quite faint (from my location anyway) and appears a little yellow/orange in appearance. So, got the red dot finder on the right area, removed the barlow to give me a wider FOV to search in and peered down the eyepiece. Low and behold, the most magnificent double I have ever seen was staring back at me. Couldn't resist putting the 3x barlow in, so I ended up with 78x mag. I did try the 3x barlow with the 10mm EP, but it didn't yield very good results. Perhaps the seeing was a bit iffy? Anyway, called my mum to have a look and she said it looked like two perfect little jewels :) I made a few notes and I think that the primary is very much a 'corn gold' colour in appearance whilst the secondary has a distinctly 'skywatcher blue' hue about it! Looking straight at the secondary the overwhelming colour is a whitey blue, but with averted vision the colour comes shouting out at you. Absolutely stunning. The two stars are very tighly packed in, which makes them even more impressive. The contrast between the two colours is quite hypnotic, couldn't take my eyes off it :) Now I sweeped up toward Epsilon Lyrae, the famous 'double double', to see what my scope could make of it.

At first, I thought my red dot finder was a bit off on this one as in the eyepiece (again with the 25mm EP) I could just see two fairly bright stars, but quite spaced about. But I decided to push on with this anyway, as there was something not quite right with each star, similar to how Mizar looks at low mag, and then at high mag you get it's A and B component glory! So I put in the 10mm EP, the strangeness continued, popped in the 2x barlow and there they were, fitting snuggle into the FOV, two marvellous (but very close) doubles. I decided to push my scope right up with this and used the 3x barlow and the 10mm EP, giving me 195x mag. There was quite a marked airy disk around the stars now, and it was boiling a little, which makes me think the seeing may not have been very good. But the double was clearly split, very very tightly packed components, and I had to scan down a little in both RA and DEC to view the bottom double double. Simply fantastic. I finished observing at around 12:45pm.

A while back I received two light pollution reduction filters (LPRF) from FLO to try out, as the results you will get from LPRF differ between locations, so here are some of my findings (nothing technical, just good old fashioned honesty, lol!). I was conducting these little tests as I went along through my session.

***** DISCLAIMER: I am in no way affiliated with Skywatcher or Baader products and am basing my findings on my own personal experiences from these filters. Everyone will yield different results and different opinions from the use of LPRF, depending on the type of light pollution you have and your own personal preference. What follows is my own, humble, opinion. *****

Filters I tried out:

Skywatcher Light Pollution Filter

Baader Neodymium Filter

First off, I decided to try out both filters by holding them up against my eye, very scientific I know! and judging the effect they had on reducing the orange glare we have all experienced at the horizon.

Skywatcher: This seemed to make the background sky generally 'more blue' and had a marked effect on the orange glow - couldn't see it at all. Even if the very dense orange clouds, they were reduced to a bluey grey colour. Stars in the region were still bright and obvious.

Baader: This seemed to just neutralise the whole area. It had a definite effect on the orange glow, but the very deep orange hued clouds didn't fare as well as they did with the Skywatcher filter. I didn't really like the way it affected stars in the region too - some of the fainter ones appeared to vanish. Even though, granted, you use a LPRF to look at one particular object at the eyepiece, I wouldn't want any of the pretty background stars to suffer, so I didn't rate the Baader very highly on this first (and rather basic) test.

Test on M57

The Baader didn't do very well on this at all, in my opinion. As I said above, it seemed to neutralise the area overall, even to the level of reducing the overall appearance of M57. It seemed even more dull, and for an already faint and dusty looking object, this is quite a negative result.

The Skywatcher was really quite impressive. Whilst making the background sky look darker overall, when I was using averted vision, the doughnut shape really did POP. I could see more detail in the middle of the doughnut (as in it was darker and more prominent). Because of this, I felt like I didn't have to put as much effort into my averted vision as I did with no filter. It made viewing this object much easier.

Albireo

I then swooped back up to Albireo, just out of interest, to see what effect the LPRF had on enhancing the colour of these objects. The Baader did very well here, surprisingly, the colour contrast was even more marked and the glare from the stars was reduced, making their colour and star like appearance more distinct. It did, however, mask out the fainter background stars. The Skywatcher still enhanced the colour, but not to the same extent as the Baader. However, it didn't seem to fade out background stars. With this is mind I would say that the Skywatcher fared better for this test.

I tried to swoop over the M81 and M82 but I just couldn't find them. I don't think they'd make much difference to these objects anyway, from what I have read.

Overall I think that the Skywatcher is a better LPRF for me. It gave me that 'pop' effect with M57 and didn't degrade what I could already see at the eyepiece. Whilst the Baader filter did OK in my very un-scientific testing, it didn't seem to suit my light pollution, and my needs, quite as well. I will be buying the Skywatcher (and it's cheaper, woohoo!) I'm sure the Baader would perform well for others, and perhaps those with a more scientific eye could make a better judgement.

FLO's service has been second to none whilst providing this service. After chatting with James via PM I received the filters in the post the day after he posted them. I had them within 4 days of even saying I fancied having a go at using LPRF! I have had the filters for around about 3 weeks now, haven't been able to use them up until now for various reasons. I think this is a very generous amount of time to put something out on loan. This is an extremely valuable service, especially when it comes to light pollution. It is so different for everyone and through providing this service FLO have, for me, really marked themselves out as a cutting edge, customer satisfaction orientated supplier of top grade astronomy products. Thank you guys! I'll be sending back the Baader tomorrow and purchasing the Skywatcher tonight. Will PM with the details :)

Hope that is OK guys, sorry it isn't very technical. But at least it is honest I guess :)

WOW!! Thats a very comprehensive report. Glad you found M57, I don't know if you've tried this but if you trace a straight line from it to Alberio you'll find M56 about half way between the two and if you then carry on along the same line you'll see M27 (The Dumbell) about the same distance from Alberio as The Ring but in the opposite direction.

Thank you Gaz, I wanted to try and hunt down M27 last night but I was so tired (had the dentist in the morning followed by a 2 and a half hour interview from hell in the afternoon!) - tonight is looking promising though so I'm gonna get my head down for an hour after dinner in preparation for a marathon tonight, lol!

Thanks Carol :) I'm so pleased I found it. You were right - now that Lyra is better placed for me (i.e. away from the near by houses and their bathroom light...) I can make out the shape of the constellation much better, helping me to pin point M57's location. Thank you so much for your help with my search for this little jewel :headbang:

Do you find you have to use averted vision to get any detail out of it?

So pleased you found M57 it is lovely but you wait until you see M27...It is much bigger and bright. You will say YES YES YES again but its a bit tough to find the first time, perhaps looks for its with some binos and then use the scope.

HAve you tried M51 and its little companion that is another fine sight the first time. It is reasonably placed at the moment. Just under the end of the handle of the plough... Again can be a bit troublesome to fine but I know you can do it..P

Buy an atlas like the Pocket Star Atlas for about £8 and this will help you...

Mark

Cheers Mark, I'll definitely go and find M27 now.. can't wait. Think that'll have to be later on in the night so it can clear the houses.

I was trying for M51 last night but I just couldn't get it :headbang: Using 25mm EP I thought the wide FOV would give me a chance, but no luck. How long did it take you to get it? lol :)

Your welcome Amanda, glad to have been of help. :)

Yes, i absolutely rely on averted vision for details. Our central color vision cones de-activate with darkness, and the contrast-sensitive peripheral rods take over. I'm guessing it's a primal survival mechanism, but it works to our advantage in the eyepiece and IMO it's the Amateur's best observing aid. We have to be patient and train our eyes to see details in a target while not looking directly at it, but it's worth the effort.

I really think that's where sketching comes in Carol, it makes us so much more sensitive to detail, do you agree? I find that details pop right out at me when I am sketching, whereas I may gloss over them if I'm just at the EP with no pencils.

Can just see Albireo in my minds eye right now, it's a beauty :)

What do you think of M27 Carol? Do you think it's a fairly easy object to locate, and is it any better (brighter, bigger) than M57?

Well done for finding M57 - you did it the "proper" way, while I used the GOTO ( a few weeks ago now). I don't think I'd have seen it without electronic assistance tbh! I didn't have a filter at the time, so that made it less obvious.

I liked your filter review too - it was scientific enough I think! Best way to check things like that is by comparison. Thats why when I buy a new TV, I spend ages walking round Comet looking at all the screens!

You're absolutely right, sketching makes us better observers because we take time to look harder. And spending more time on an object increases the chances of being rewarded with momentary 'pops' of better seeing.

The thing that really helped train my averted vision was double star observing.. especially when the secondary's close and quite a bit dimmer than the primary. They're a lot of work, but the pay-off's tremendous. :)

M27's awesome. The surface brightness is a bit less than the Ring's but it's still what i'd consider a bright and easy target (depending on LP, of course :)). A wide fov and accurate red-dot alignment will get you there, but you might want to try binos first. Hold the filter to one of the eyepieces.. you'll definitely know when you're on it. :headbang:

Thanks Carol, think I'll give it a go on doubles, train those cones (or is it rods...) up :) very excited about M27 now :headbang:

Lol cheers Catanonia! I'll prob be out there tonight aswell, though I should probably try and get a straight 8 hrs one of these nights....

Well done Amanda in finding M57 and the double double. You are making it look easy now :)

M27 is a much larger object and a little dimmer then M27 but you should see it a a grey smudge but it will be pretty hard to spot.

What an EXCELLENT report Amanda - a great load of detail (who cares about the technical ??? - I don't for sure !)

Love the way you discovered M57 for the first time and considering it's not that dark, it's a decent find. I bet it was funny to see you jumping up and down in the garden (who knows, perhaps the neighbours did and that's why they look at you funnily in the mornings ?)

Also, interesting result on the LP filters and was also a touch surprised. So, will you be sketching the M57 (Like we saw in this months SAN mag - excellent !)

Finally, I'm also glad you used the RDF to find object because I happen to believe you definately get a better sense of what is where in the sky and the sense of achievement when you do find something is much more stisfying than pushing a button (actually, I don't have the choice !)

Again - great report.

Brilliant report Amanda. Your enthusiasm is infectious. :headbang:

I remember the first time I finally got a glimpse of M57, it was a couple of years ago while on holiday in the Cottswolds. Even Mrs Legion was impressed :). We had very dark skies and it almost leapt out of the eyepiece. I still can't see it from home visually, although I've yet to try with my new 8inch newt.

Thank you all for your kind comments :)

Mick, to be honest, I am starting to find this whole astronomy thing slightly easier... I think it's because I've finally got to grips with how my telescope moves and I am much more confident with finding stuff. Not to mention the wonderful support from you all at SGL :) this place is a beginners dream ;) It's so easy to get into that trap of thinking that astronomy is a very very complicated hobby... sure, it requires skill.. but familiarising yourself with your equipment is half the battle, IMO. I hope I don't sound big headed or anything here :) when I say 'easier' I don't mean 'a doddle' - i.e. it takes me half an hour to locate something, instead of a few days :)

albedo - I really do think that is why the neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely lately! Coupled with the fact I walk around with a sleeping mask over just ONE eye, talk to my telescope, pat it, and talk to MYSELF - they probably think I'm a bit crackers! I am with you 100% on the RDF, there's nothing like the blood sweat and tears of finding something yourself. Go-To is a wonderful piece of equipment for those who are strapped for time or perhaps are more into imaging - less time finding the object means more time imaging it- but for me, the thrill of locating it yourself after what seems like an age panning in RA and DEC is well worth it :)

legion - I really am excited at the prospect of viewing some of the objects I have seen recently from a sight with less LP. I have been so astounded by them from my own suburban location, I just can't fathom what it would be like to observe from a sight with nothing but the natural glow of the Milky Way above your head! Isn't it just fantastic when someone else can share in the glory too, I love showing my family different fuzzies :) Would love to hear about your experiences on DSOs with the 8" - I think it's the size scope I'll be getting in a few years time, when I upgrade. and.. of course... when I've got my own place. Can barely move in my bedroom when the telescope is set up!

:):headbang:

Think I'll probably go out with a view to find it next time, instead of just thinking it's a 'good idea' as I'm coming to the end of a 3 hour stint. Finding it is the hard bit, but I find slewing to an object once you know where it is gets easier with time. How obvious was it at the EP, did it hit you as soon as you scanned over it?

Great report Amanda, very enjoyable reading about your excitement in finding the ring. I was just the same, such a fascinating little thing. I remember when I first found it in my 120mm frac. In my 10" it is just astounding at 400x. For me M27 is harder to find due to a lack of any decent bright reference stars in the area. Its a much bigger target however and you wont need to crank the magnification much. Good luck with M81/82 and M51, you'll need to be quick as Ursa Major will be fast dropping like a bomb towards the Northern horizon in the late evenings. Have you seen the Hercules Cluster yet (M13)?

Matt

Archived