Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pentax v Nagler

Reading some of the previous posts brings to mind one of the most important points that directly affects ones perception of how good an eyepiece is. The point is that almost no one has perfect vision. Most people have a few little vision defects that may not be noticeable normally, but that can influence how well a particular eyepiece works for you.

So it could be true when one person states that the view through a Pentax eyepiece is better than a Nagler, for them that's an accurate statement. But then again when the next person states that the view through a Nagler is better than a Pentax that could also be true for them.

John

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As it happens a thread on just this topic has kicked off in the Eyepieces forum at Cloudynights and, in the usual CN style, has got rather overheated in parts. There was one post that stood out to me as intelligent and helpful...
:headbang: I think there are some guys who really know what they're talking about - and, if I wanted "advice", I'd take note. One of the more interesting points is this rectilinear versus angular magnification distortion thing. As you say, whether such things are important to the individual is... individual? Yet, stuff like that, I find generally educational. Worthwhile checking to see if you can ... SEE (and understand!) these various "aberrations" too! But I think it slightly reassuring to find that you're not "going mad", if occasionally you do see slightly less than (claimed) perfection... :icon_salut:

Jovial Aside: The only time I almost "lost it" was when someone suggested that people should stop

"whining about price", because affording such things was "just a matter of priority". Ah, right... :cool:

As it happens a thread on just this topic has kicked off in the Eyepieces forum at Cloudynights and, in the usual CN style, has got rather overheated in parts.

John

Yeah John, I've been following that thread also. CN can provide very useful information despite getting quite heated at times.

So the moral to the story is.....

Try before you buy as one size does not fit all.

Ideally that would be the way to go Doc, but unfortunately isn't an option for me.

I know I get on with the 20mm eye relief of the XWs and the fact they are similar weights means I don't have to rebalance when I swap them around. Weights range from 405g for the 3.5XW to 355g for the 20 (or 365g - 390g for the 14mm - 7mm). Those consistencies were the reasons I chose the 14XW over the 13Nag and I haven't regretted that decision for a minute as the 14 is a joy to use.

The 20T5 being a 2" 470g eyepiece may be slightly more hassle to swap in and out of the diagonal, but it does seem to get rave reviews. However it is more expensive than the XWs and the eye relief is also at 12mm, but I don't wear glasses so would that be a problem?!? Who can tell but me.

I keep swaying back and forth between the two.... how sad am I :icon_salut:

I’ve been having a think. I’ve been thinking that I’m over analysing the whole Pentax v Nagler decision and creating a problem where one doesn’t exist. I’ve been thinking there are probably people out there who are also thinking “sheesh, I wish I had your problem pal!”

I’ve been thinking that Steve’s statement...

In truth, there is no wrong choice when choosing between Pentax and Televue. HTH

...makes sense. Thanks Steve that does indeed help :icon_salut:

And I’ve been thinking why I’m asking others what I’ll like when it all boils down to personal preference. I know the XWs I have are fantastic. 70deg and 20mm eye relief suit me... the views are superb... and they’re a work of engineering art! So I’ve deleted most of my previous posts – please ignore my ramblings.

Col

It's always the same on Cloudy Nights: dare to suggest that an American-made product is not the greatest thing since sliced bread and you'll be hammered by incensed Yanks. Double the sense of outrage if you so much as even hint that Asian-made kit may be as good as anything American. You're truly doomed if they think you're implying that Asian-made kit is actually superior! :icon_salut:

It's always the same on Cloudy Nights: dare to suggest that an American-made product is not the greatest thing since sliced bread and you'll be hammered by incensed Yanks. Double the sense of outrage if you so much as even hint that Asian-made kit may be as good as anything American. You're truly doomed if they think you're implying that Asian-made kit is actually superior! :icon_salut:

Thats why I'm here....

Friendliest forum by a long way.

The best view of Jupiter I ever had was in a 6" SW dob, with a Pentax ep. Sorry, don't know what model. The dob belonged to a very experienced observer who had that scope, and two Pentax eps - his entire kit. Doesn't matter to me, as I can't afford Pentaxes either, and if I did win the lottery, I'd buy ethoses after my experience with them last year. If I only won a small lottery, I'd buy Pentax.

Praise him, sun and moon/ Praise him, ye stars of light.

-Psalm 148

I had a Psalm Psilot too! It was great. Wasn't a model 148 though. I never even knew they made those. Must have been for the North American market only.

I had a Psalm Psilot too! It was great. Wasn't a model 148 though. I never even knew they made those. Must have been for the North American market only.

LOL!! I've been thinking of trading it in on a model 8. The 148 was given to me one Sunday when I was reading Morning Prayer. :icon_salut:

Archived