Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone Observing?

It's been a little quiet of late. I was waiting for Cygnus to rise at a repectable hour and then the back popped and I'm on crutches again.

My last observing was a couple of weeks ago while on holiday. I am now suffering due to the fact we have had a few good nights this week.

Glen.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been out a couple of times, but also noticed that now the moon is here, it's so bright !. Last night did a couple of hours but gave up hunting for deep sky and just visual observed instead.

How quaint is that !

A couple of nights ago I saw M13 with the binos for the first time :icon_salut: Amazing :cool: last night it was a little harder, think this might have been coz the Moon is getting brighter. Sorry to hear about your beck Glen :headbang: do you know when you are expected to be up and about (i.e. able to observe) again?

Amanda

Hi Amanda,

Did I see your equipment list get a little bigger?:icon_salut:

Nice observation on M13. Ok,what's your next target?

I'm going to be careful with it. I had a disc out in 2000 and don't really want to go through that again. Didn't mind the op, it was the wait in agony for 18 months before the op I didn't like :cool:

It's lovely and clear. I hope everyone is making the most of it.

Glen.

My next target is M57 - can't for the life of me find it so far. Think I'm looking a little too much to the left. I'm struggling to make out the shape of Lyra, which is making things harder. Yes, got a scope now :icon_salut: I still use the binos loads though, never underestimate the power of 'grab and go'! and they are so useful for having that extra wide FOV, to try and ascertain where things are in relation to other things. That's how I managed to bag M13 in the end - and with a lot of swiveling around in RA and DEC...

M57 should be quite easy to find because it is almost exactly midway between 2 quite bright stars but it is very small so if you are using a low power e/p you might miss it altogether (it would just look like a star).

HTH :icon_salut:

Yup and once you have found it once, you will be able to go straight to it from then on!

M57 is one of my favourite objects with my GT100's and my small scopes. I can just about pick it out with 15x70's. Seeing is all important though. NGC 457 in Cassiopeia is always on my list as well.

Glen.

Just a few of the objects observed over the last few days,

with a 119 year old pair of Dollond Galilean binoculars.

M53, M5, M13, M92, M71, M27, M57 (just a star),

M11, M15, M31, M51, M39, beta Cyg, delta Cep,

the Coathanger, Mizar and R Sct.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear you enjoyed yourself. Just something about binocular viewing. When my back was bad we had 10 clear nights altogether :)

Now it's improving a little it's cloudy. I did get out the other night after a few weeks of going mad. I thought I would start with my 8x42's work up to the 10x50's and then onward and upward:)

Tripods do take some getting used to. I did try quite a few until I found one which was right for me and my backyard. I may look for a monopod for the next time I'm out with the smaller binocs.

Clear Skies.

Glen.

Hi Kev,

Onwards and upward Kev.

I did go through a bad patch in the 90's with PTSD. I thought I wouldn't come through it. With the help of my wife we got through it. There are still low times from time to time. You certainly find out who your friends are.

Life can be a real bitch.

My thoughts are with you. If you ever want to talk you know where I am.

Glen.

My next target is M57 - can't for the life of me find it so far. Think I'm looking a little too much to the left. I'm struggling to make out the shape of Lyra, which is making things harder. Yes, got a scope now :) I still use the binos loads though, never underestimate the power of 'grab and go'! and they are so useful for having that extra wide FOV, to try and ascertain where things are in relation to other things. That's how I managed to bag M13 in the end - and with a lot of swiveling around in RA and DEC...

Its inbetween Beta and Gamma but slightly offset in the direction away from Vega. If you've spent a decent amount of time looking for it then I'd virtually guarantee you've seen it but passed it over at low power,

Gaz, I'm starting to think this is the problem. I think I've got too tied up in the 'need really wide FOV to bag any DSOs' and so consequentially I've been searching at to low a mag. I think I'll up the power and try and pin point the location precisely. I'll line my red dot finder up to death before!

Another problem I've recently uncovered is that I have been trying to view the Summer Triangle when it is particularly badly placed for me - over an area that is in the direction of a building site's flood light (that they keep on all night.....). Next door neighbour's house masks this a little, but as I found out a few nights ago, doesn't help a great deal. Couldn't sleep the other night so went out to a fairly clear (albeit briefly) Southeasten sky and had a sweep of the Summer Triangle area with the binos... amazing amount of stars. And I could make out Lyra quite easily naked eye! Then the cloud rolled in. Just waiting for a clear night now, my scope all set up in the corner of my bedroom is a sorry sight indeed!

Cheers Gaz :)

Amanda

Like Gaz said, you might have had it in the fov but didn't realize it. Have you tried using my sketch (referred to you in a different M57 thread) as a guide? If you did and still can't see it, maybe your best bet is to wait till Lyra's in a more user-friendly position for you (mid-August).

One thing about being an Amateur.. it teaches you to be patient, lol. Good luck! :)

Archived