Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A few from lastnight

Psychobilly

Fist night on DSO's since 19th April so decided to image with the 1000D on the Megrez72 FF III and the 350D on the CPC800 at f6.3.

I Use the 1000D as the main imageing camera whilst the 350D is used to provide an alternate view of the 1000D's target... if i like what I see then I image the 350D's target with the 1000D at a later date...

The total abscence of ampglow with the 1000D compared to the 350D is clear in these images only light flats (sky flats taken at the end of the imaging session) and Bias have been stacked no darks were taken.

Exposure times were 240s with 10 frames each at ISO 800 and ISO1600 for both cameras. The inter sub delay for the 1000D was 30s and for the 350D it was 120s.. I have left the ampglow artefacts in the 350D images...

Just Two main targets last night now the nights are getting shorter...

M27 Dumbell Nebula - Inpired by Aza's superb image ... I went even wider DSS was registering 14,000+ stars in the widefield one...

[ATTACH]22561[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]22563[/ATTACH]

VDB142 (Elephants Trunk) in IC1396

The Widefield framing was compromised to allow VDB142 to be imaged in the 8". I am still getting artefacts on the brightest stars with the 8" but they are getting smaller as the collimation is improved.

[ATTACH]22562[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]22564[/ATTACH]

IC1396 will be a target that gets a decent amount of time spent on it this "summer" (if we get one).

It was great just to be able to spend a whole night in the obs again and it looks like the gear hasn't "suffered" by being out there 24/7 over the last very wet month.

Thanks for looking...

Peter...

Cheers Arran... not a patch on your M27 though :cool:

Its a pity with the SW Eq 66 and FF III I used to get a wider shot of IC 1396 allowign Herschels Garnet Star to be in the frame as well.

I'll go fro traditional framing next time so i'll ahev to seperate the Widefield and Narrowfield imaging runs... The Co-aligned 3 OTA setup works well for Centered Targets. Its HAndy becasue If I up the guidecam exposure to 5-10s I can usually see the DSO taht I am trying to capture.. once i know where it is I memorise where it is in realtion to the brighter stars and tehn drop the guide cam exposure to 1-2s slew the scoep to frame the target, and I know what I am going to get through the 8" F6.3 DSLR combo...

I used the Bathinov grabber app last night works a treat ...

Peter....

I'll agree to differ... I think yours is absolutely superb - and very sympathetically processed to show the rich starfield - ratehr than clipping most of the faintger satrs out...

I have a bee in my bonnet about starfields at the moment.. I had an interesting discussion with someone yesterday who though an image looked grainy until he realised that they were stars.... to be fair you can only tell when you look at the hi-res tiffs as the reduced Jpegs arent the best way to show a really dense starfield...

I had an idea how the background would come out when i couldnt see M27 for stars in TheSky6 when i was looking at last nights targets before going out...

Longer term I think I will have to save up for either another 1000D or a 450D though... the 350D can then become the piggy back camera if i fit an ACF filter to it...

Peter...

Peter, I will give you 6 out of 10 for that group of photos...this is using my father in laws method of scoring anything he likes (normally food). He figures if he gives them only 6 they will want to do better next time and will try to improve it and make it again for him to prove they can get 7!

So a 6 for you...must try harder...or at least post another set of good images we can look at!

NC

I'ts not your eyes .. there is... I'm using a 55mm SCT-T adaptor which with the T mount should give the right 110mm length for the f6.3 reducer...

I have a cunning plan... I am having thin shim washers laser cut to first try lenghtening the optical path if thats going the wront way i'll shorten the tubes...

but either way I will have to borrow another laptop or buy CCDInspector...

On the procersing front just a very quick run through a standard workflow in CS3... OK could spend ages and get them "better" but they are ok for web use...... I never spend ages on an image unless its a complex HDR jobbie...

Peter...

Thanks Doc and Deneb... by trying for the fainter outer lobes I have slightly over done the Center (probably a lobe coming toward us) ... one to work on .. if we get enough clear skies... if not it will do for this season...

So far all my advanced plans for bigger projects have been snookered by the bloomin weather...

And I cant resist the Cygnus nebs - I did manage it lastnight just to get some better data than last years on M27 and VDB142.. I need to do an M57 then I am free to concentrate on my favorites... I know there's a lot more up there but want to re-visit last years targets which I imaged last year before I had the modded DLSR's Megrez 72...etc...

Peter...

I know there's a lot more up there but want to re-visit last years targets which I imaged last year before I had the modded DLSR's Megrez 72...etc...

Peter...

I know what you mean Peter, just waiting for M42 & M31 to come around again :cool:

Cheers... the only one I like is the widefield M27... as I was trying to capture some of the structure in the starfield even if it compromised the PN...

The Framing of the Widefiedl IC1396 was sacrificed for the framing of the Narrow field one... I have some reasonable data from IC 1396 from last year so it was more of a comparison/test of the ACF modded 1000D to the unfiltered 350D...

Some food for thought in there though.. might swap the two camera over for tonight and revist the same targets...

Either that or i'll spend the night swanning round the Cygnus nebs...

Peter...

• 2 months later...

Sorry Guy they have long gone...

In the good old days we had UKAstronomers and you could keep a reasonable number of images online... now we have a much smaller limit...so I just delete them after a few months... to make room for other stuff...

Progress is wonderful thing....

Peter...

Archived