Casual quick gander scope or binos

I'm generally up 4.30 to 5 ish every morning.  Usual routine of putting the kettle on, letting the dog out and a quick gander at the heavens. This morning its as clear as a bell up there.

What scope should I be looking at for casual grab and go for when I dont want to get the Dob out? Something small I can keep in the kitchen and just grab no fuss. 

I expect most of you will answer with binos ?

ta all

Carl

Edited by GasGiant

As you say, binoculars are hard to beat for a quick look. I do find I get in crick in my neck pretty quickly though, and anything towards the zenith is virtually impossible for me, so I have also used a 10x60 RACI finder with great success, though miss the stereo views. I have always thought a handheld RACI binocular would be a great idea, and I have seen some homemade versions on-line, but have not attempted anything myself….yet. A small refractor on a lightweight camera tripod is the other obvious solution I guess, although you’re then potentially into finding a chair to sit on, so more hassle. 

• Like 1

Some things are just so good in binoculars. The Pleiades and Hydes are better in bins than anything else IMO.

One thing to be aware of is exit pupil. As you get older your pupil doesn’t dilate so much so typically when you get into your 50s and 60s you won’t be dilating beyond 5 to 6 mm - 7x50 binoculars produce exit pupils of 7 mm which is wasting light for those people, but 10x50 or 8x40 have smaller exit pupils which don’t waste any light. 

Image stabilisation is a great idea, I’d love some too but they are pricey. One for the list. 

• Like 2

I would say both binoculars and a grab and go! Which is what I have. Although binoculars are also handy while I’m waiting for the Dob to cool, relaxing, last minute planning and for getting my eyes use to the dark. I have 10x50’s. 

As @RobertI says, some targets are simply better in binoculars too. I’d also add the beehive cluster and the Andromeda galaxy. For me Andromeda has also been best in binoculars. 

Binoculars are also handy for wildlife too.

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 3

I have the 12x36iii Canons. I use them every available opportunity. Just this morning I had views of the moon, Mars, Jupiter and Galilean moons. Think I’ve managed about 45 messier targets with them in about 4 months of having them. They’re right up there with my best Astro buys. The IS has been a complete game changer for me and binocular use.

• Like 3

I reviewed the Canon 15X50is Binoculars for Astronomy Now a couple of months ago.  They really are excellent for astro and quick looks.  The IS means they are a viable alternative to a small scope for grab-n-go astronomy IMO.  The stabilisation results in a remarkable magnitude gain (1-2 I estimate compared to handheld without IS engaged) and the extra magnification means many objects are resolving rather than being ill-defined mists.  Yes, quite expensive so perhaps the 12x36 are worth considering.  Many speak highly of them for astro use though I have not had the chance to try them myself.

• Like 3