Focuser Upgrade and wide field eyepiece for Skywatcher 250P Dobsonian

I have a Skywatcher 130P Dobsonian and am looking to  change  up to a  250P Flextube  GOTO (having borrowed one its definitely the largest size I can move on my own!)  . Mainly interested in visual observing, but want to be able to do occasional  astrophotography - with a smartphone or initially a borrowed planetary camera. 

Considering a focuser upgrade to a 2 speed focuser -  should I get the Astro Essentials one here https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astro-essentials-focusers/astro-essentials-v2-2-dual-speed-crayford-focuser-for-sky-watcher-refractor-telescopes.html

or the more bulky Skywatcher one https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-focusers/dual-speed-crayford-1252-inch-focuser-for-skywatcher-explorer.html

Also considering a wide field 2" eyepeice,  30-40mm focal length, any recommendations?  Tele-Vue ones are way out of my budget and I suspect of far better quality than the scope warrants .

Thanks

The Stellalyra 30mm uff is a great eyepiece and highly recommended by lots of people on this forum.

My scope has the same fl as the flex tube you mention and the 30mm gives x 40, a great finder eyepiece but also just about fits in large targets like the Pleiades. Sharp to the edge and very reasonably priced for the quality

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Peter Turvey said:

That one is for refractors :wink2:

When I had one of these scopes, I used the Lacerta dual speed upgrade kit. Worked perfectly.

IMG_0540_DxO1200.jpg.247d95b67cba5741f01d0f194ff01fc7.jpg

IMG_0542_DxO1200.jpg.58656dd9b618124867c5187c6dab9d7a.jpg

• Like 2

As Mr Spock said the first one is for Refractors so wont fit a Reflector, I bought a Lacerta 10:1 upgrade and it was brilliant I used it on a 200p I should never have sold that scope really regret that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter Turvey said:

Thanks, was it a direct swap fit or did you have to drill extra holes for it?

Yes I had to drill four holes to accommodate the Baader Steeltrack. I believe it now comes with a paper template to make this a relatively simple process. If you don't want to or don't feel comfortable drilling the telescope tube then I would opt for another make of focuser or the Lacerta upgrade kit.

• Like 1

+1 for the Lacerta dual-speed upgrade. I found it very easy to fit to my Skyliner 250PX.

I also relaced the 9x50 straight-through finder, with its RACI equivalent. It means that I do not have to change overall body position to use the finder.

I have a 2" Meade 4000 56mm Plossl eyepiece, it's a big, heavy, beast; so I tend to use my 1.25" 32mm Plossl for the initial, widest, view; without having to change the eyepiece adaptor on the focusser.

Geoff

• Like 1

Thanks again, I collected the 250P this morning, and have ordered the Lacerta dual speed focused upgrade. Ditto for Wide field eyepiece suggestions, which now will have to wait until budget permits!

• Like 1

Another option for a wide field 2" eyepiece is the 28mm KUO 82o. I use this with my 10" dob, and it gives very good image quality across the wide AFOV, aside from the coma inevitable in a fast newtonian. It's significantly larger and heavier, and slightly more expensive than the 30mm UFF.

Much like the UFF it can be had under a variety of different brand names.

The only place I know of that sells it to the UKTecnosky Eyepiece UWA 82° 28mm (astroshop.eu)

Scope collected and commissioned, Lacerta Focuser upgrade fitted, did a quick tracking and finder alignment on Saturn (visible from inside our garage) so all ready to go. Light shroud  right angle finder and extra Telrad base purchased and on the way.20241010_205614.thumb.jpeg.d2bb120a8d08e3e370c73999ace4824d.jpeg

• Like 1

On 07/10/2024 at 11:52, Mr Spock said:

When I had one of these scopes, I used the Lacerta dual speed upgrade kit. Worked perfectly.

On 07/10/2024 at 14:22, wookie1965 said:

As Mr Spock said the first one is for Refractors so wont fit a Reflector, I bought a Lacerta 10:1 upgrade and it was brilliant I used it on a 200p I should never have sold that scope really regret that.

Blimey! So there’s an upgrade to the upgrade. I’ve just bought the Skywatcher (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-focusers/dual-speed-crayford-1252-inch-focuser-for-skywatcher-explorer.html) focuser to replace the original focuser on my 15 year old 200p.  Worked a treat. I don’t know why I didn’t upgrade years ago.  It’s given my 200p a new lease of life for both  visual and imaging.  In fact my recent imaging exploits used it.  It held the weight of the camera and only needed refocusing slightly once or twice.  Nice to know there’s an upgrade though. 
IMG_6014.thumb.jpeg.39e6afeb8c68b5a5c8bf1d7287480753.jpeg

One thing to add about the Skywatcher focuser is that a noticeable amount of light leaks in where the new focuser joins the tube. Doesn’t matter in the dark but may be a problem as I found if you capture flats and flat darks during the following day.  

• Thanks 1

I was gifted a low profile Sw focuser for my 200p but it was designed for a larger tube and had gaps in all 4 corners around the outer base plate. I easily remedied this with a tube of black Rtv silicone sealant right around the plate, shining a high power torch around it I cannot see any light leaks now from the focuser.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1