Two large solar flares in past 24 hrs - possible geomagnetic unrest on the way again.

There have been some great images of last night STEVE appearance. Looking very STEVE like. I'm slightly disappointed that my images were less so. 

Our fellow Stargazer posted this elsewhere on the forum. A classic STEVE in my book:

High energy physics within Earth's magnetosphere is very interesting and still extremely difficult to research. Like the "sprites" over intense thunderstorms, our job as enthusiasts and amateurs is to observe, record and most importantly, enjoy them.

Come solar minimum we'll be talking about this present period fondly.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Paul M said:

There have been some great images of last night STEVE appearance. Looking very STEVE like. I'm slightly disappointed that my images were less so. 

Our fellow Stargazer posted this elsewhere on the forum. A classic STEVE in my book:

High energy physics within Earth's magnetosphere is very interesting and still extremely difficult to research. Like the "sprites" over intense thunderstorms, our job as enthusiasts and amateurs is to observe, record and most importantly, enjoy them.

Come solar minimum we'll be talking about this present period fondly.

Those are some amazing images.

Definitely need a larger sensor and a lens with a large clear aperture if you want to get the best images I think. Would be interesting to know what gear/settings trailer was using.

• Like 2

Thank you. I was extremely fortunate to get to see this! FYI I was using a Sony A7iii with a Viltrox f1.8 16mm lens. All at f2.2 with the first two shots at 20 seconds and the third at 8 seconds. ISO on 1 and 3 is 640 and 1250 on the second 👍🏻

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, trailer said:

Thank you. I was extremely fortunate to get to see this! FYI I was using a Sony A7iii with a Viltrox f1.8 16mm lens. All at f2.2 with the first two shots at 20 seconds and the third at 8 seconds. ISO on 1 and 3 is 640 and 1250 on the second 👍🏻

Thanks for the info. I thought you might have used a slightly larger aperture, but with shorter exposure time. Wasn't sure you'd be able to preserve details as much as you did with a 20s exposure!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

G4 forecast along with clear skies here ... 😊 

Batteries charged and ready.

Could be a busy evening 😄 - I was already planning my first evening attempt at Comet Tsuchinshan-ATLAS, but my chosen location for that does not have a good view North!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Nearly missed it, but NOAA model updated, and already out of date!

NOAA-2.jpg.b301ded7768e79404dc621a1deb38b19.jpg

Looking like this could be the one.. lot's of potential for cannibalistic interactions with so many large CMEs en route I think. @maw lod qan perhaps this will be your chance, if you are somewhere safe and out of the way of the hurricane. Hope you are OK!

Edited by Leo S
  • Like 2

Just been another large flare. Not quite X-class.

Not sure where this (or the last X-flare) came from though, but I guess it's possible that it could be storming for a good few days in a row, if these did also hurl CME's our way.

It really is starting to feel like solar-max!

16 hours ago, mcrowle said:

Could be a busy evening 😄 - I was already planning my first evening attempt at Comet Tsuchinshan-ATLAS, but my chosen location for that does not have a good view North!

Weather forecast is no longer looking favourable here, but will see what I can do! 🤞

Regards, Mike.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

Can anyone remember the peak Aurorawatch figure on that night in May?

It was a freakishly high 1800 or so. I was watching it change from the afternoon into the night.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 2

I’ve got my camera bag packed with fast lenses and am keeping an eye on activity on-line.

However, the holes in the cloud have filled in and the weather radar is not looking encouraging for the next few hours! I’ll keep looking out in hope, though. Good luck all!

Regards, Mike.

• Like 2