Stumbled Upon a Cool Way to Relax Between Stargazing Sessions

Alain31

Hey everyone,

So I’ve been doing a lot of late-night stargazing lately mostly watching the phases of the moon and trying to catch glimpses of Mars when it’s visible. But I realized I don’t really have a way to unwind after a long session outside, especially when the weather isn’t cooperating 😐 .

Funny thing is, last year for my birthday, my uncle who knows I’m into space got me this MOVA Globe. At first, I didn’t think much of it it’s just a globe that spins by itself using light. But over time, I’ve actually come to love it. It’s got this calming motion, almost like watching the planets move through a telescope. Now I keep it on my desk, and it’s become part of my routine to sit and watch it 🌍 while I plan my next stargazing session or catch up on space news.

Anyone else have something like that? Something that helps you stay connected to space when you can’t get outside to observe? I’d love to hear what keeps you all inspired during cloudy nights or downtime 🙂!

• Like 6

Welcome! I have seen those globes in a shop and was transfixed by its smooth rotation, one of these is definitely on my list of Christmas things I will buy for myself. To answer your question about filling in the gaps between observing, science/space documentaries and scifi films, they are as much a part of me as my ears.

I just discovered them thanks to your post... High technology within reach of your eyes (there is no motor of any kind, so they are completely silent)... I see that the catalogue includes planets from all over the Solar System, some satellites (including the Moon) and a wide variety of maps of the Earth, among others. It's a pity that the one of Saturn doesn't have rings, although in reality in the next few months they will hardly be visible, so it will be a "realistic" perspective...

2 hours ago, dweller25 said:

Drunk in charge of a telescope is not against the law 🤣

Hello, drinking? no way too many double stras! Prefer to lie  on my back on my air mattress floating along in the pool when it is hot.
The only problem are those pesky tiny mosquitoes! No--life in California is not perfect! ;- )

Edited by VNA