80mm Triplet woes: Altair FPL53, FCD100 or WO GT81?

I am a bit lost amongst the Altair small APO's, more specifically 80mm ones.

What we got here:
Starwave ASCENT: packaged with 0.8x reducer, effectively f/4.8, FCD100 triplet
Wave Series 80mm F6 Super ED Triplet: more expensive, FPL53

How these compare to e.g. a William GT81?

I have a TS CF 90 APO which is virtually identical to the WO FLT 91, but was 600 euro cheaper.

Anodizing is expensive :)

I also have a GT71, excellent scope, but buy 'checked and tuned' as WO can be a bit flaky on QA/QC

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, 900SL said:

I have a TS CF 90 APO which is virtually identical to the WO FLT 91, but was 600 euro cheaper.

Anodizing is expensive :)

I also have a GT71, excellent scope, but buy 'checked and tuned' as WO can be a bit flaky on QA/QC

Yes agree, BUT buy from RVO, as there checking and tuning is done properly with trained staff on a proper Zygo machine, and you get proper printed report, not like another dealer who just gets a guy in there warehouse to open the box and check it over….😮

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

Yes agree, BUT buy from RVO, as there checking and tuning is done properly with trained staff on a proper Zygo machine, and you get proper printed report, not like another dealer who just gets a guy in there warehouse to open the box and check it over….😮

Oh, Stuart! 

At FLO, we initially sent our telescopes for testing to Es Reid. Es is generally regarded as the UK's best. But unfortunately, he is not getting any younger, and there is nobody else in the UK of his calibre. This worried him and us, so a few years ago, at his suggestion, we employed him to build an optical test bench at our premises in Exeter and to train two of our staff in its use. He continues to visit us twice yearly for additional training to ensure our methods and understanding remain up-to-date. We are grateful for his continued support.

The optical test bench he installed provides us with a tried-and-trusted method for assessing telescope optics. But we like fancy equipment and sexy charts as much as the next person, so we have also purchased and regularly use a Shack Hartmann. 

Regarding a printed report, the Shack Hartmann (and Zygo) are designed for testing optics during the manufacturing process. They were not designed or intended for marketing purposes, so we don't use them in this way. 

We continue to send Es the occasional telescope, usually when we need a second opinion or are considering a potential new refractor for our StellaMira brand. 

Anyhow, I don't normally feed trolls so that is all you will hear from me on this subject. 

Steve

• Like 3

8 hours ago, vlaiv said:

These might be all from KUO, think WO are too as are many others.

14 minutes ago, FLO said:

Oh, Stuart! 

At FLO, we initially sent our telescopes for testing to Es Reid. Es is generally regarded as the UK's best. But unfortunately, he is not getting any younger, and there is nobody else in the UK of his calibre. This worried him and us, so a few years ago, at his suggestion, we employed him to build an optical test bench at our premises in Exeter and to train two of our staff in its use. He continues to visit us twice yearly for additional training to ensure our methods and understanding remain up-to-date. We are grateful for his continued support.

The optical test bench he installed provides us with a tried-and-trusted method for assessing telescope optics. But we like fancy equipment and sexy charts as much as the next person, so we have also purchased and regularly use a Shack Hartmann. 

Regarding a printed report, the Shack Hartmann (and Zygo) are designed for use during manufacture. They were not designed or intended for marketing purposes, so we don't use them in this way. 

We continue to send Es the occasional telescope, usually when we need a second opinion or are considering a potential new refractor for our StellaMira brand. 

Anyhow, I don't normally feed trolls so that is all you will hear from me on this subject. 

Steve

Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated….and good to know…😉