NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help needed with pricing my beloved Superscopes Titan 2 Telescope 12" f6

Hello everyone,

As I mainly use my 9.25" Celestron due to being more lightweight and compact, this Superscopes had not much use in the recent years.  As I'm reluctantly thinking of selling this beauty I'm trying to determine its value. I would appreciate any help or guidance you can offer. Here are the details I was able to gather about this :

- Main and secondary mirrors by Phil Stone who works at Bedford Astronomical Society
- Made in Bedford in 1988
- Great condition for the age
- Includes the original controls
- The mirrors were recoated 4 years ago

I haven't found much information on this specific model. Any insights on its potential value or advice on where to look for more information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Mick

photo_2024-07-07 21.45.24.jpeg

photo_2024-07-07 21.46.06.jpeg

photo_2024-07-07 21.46.03.jpeg

photo_2024-07-07 21.45.47.jpeg

photo_2024-07-07 21.45.51.jpeg

photo_2024-07-07 21.45.40.jpeg

photo_2024-07-07 21.45.36.jpeg

photo_2024-07-07 21.46.18.jpeg

photo_2024-07-07 21.46.21.jpeg

photo_2024-07-07 21.46.14.jpeg

photo_2024-07-07 21.46.11.jpeg

photo_2024-07-07 21.45.32.jpeg

photo_2024-07-07 21.46.33.jpeg

photo_2024-07-07 21.46.29.jpeg

photo_2024-07-07 21.45.28.jpeg

photo_2024-07-07 21.46.25.jpeg

• Like 9

Very sadly Phil Stone died a while back. He is greatly missed by all who had the great privilege to know him. His engineering skills were at the peak of high quality, arguably unsurpassed at any price.

Answering your question is a tough call. This superb and heavy instrument really needs an observatory to do it justice therefore that will limit the number of people who might be interested.  Also those who are deep into our hobby will likely already have a significant instrument.

So, what’s it worth? Probably more than it will actually sell for. Its worth is in the thousands of ££££.

If it were me I’d be in contact with Linton Guise at Bedford, he knew Phil very well. Linton is a member on SGL.

Ed.

• Mr Spock changed the title to Help needed with pricing my beloved Superscopes Titan 2 Telescope 12" f6
10 hours ago, NGC 1502 said:

Very sadly Phil Stone died a while back. He is greatly missed by all who had the great privilege to know him. His engineering skills were at the peak of high quality, arguably unsurpassed at any price.

Answering your question is a tough call. This superb and heavy instrument really needs an observatory to do it justice therefore that will limit the number of people who might be interested.  Also those who are deep into our hobby will likely already have a significant instrument.

So, what’s it worth? Probably more than it will actually sell for. Its worth is in the thousands of ££££.

If it were me I’d be in contact with Linton Guise at Bedford, he knew Phil very well. Linton is a member on SGL.

Ed.

Sad to hear of Phil Stone’s passing. I bought a scope very much like the one in the pic from him in 1990, on behalf of a school. In 92 I bought a C8 and Vixen mount from him. Really great guy.

This brings back lots of fond memories.  I had an Vixen 102mm off Phil back in the mid 80's, and a friend commissioned him to build and install a large scope in his garden, so became good friends at the time with Phil.  So sad to hear he has passed.

The problem is that not only do you have to price the scope on its technical aspects, but also as an antique / nostalgia aspect.  You could always use one of those websites that will give you todays equivalent of what the mount cost new when you purchased it.  I would agree it will be four figures, I mean look at that lovely thick mirror, that's not cheap !

Posted (edited)

Fabulous scope 👍

As to pricing….

A new 12” Chinese Newt plus an EQ6-R goto mount is around £2.5k

Perhaps your classic scope is worth somewhere around that ?

Edited by dweller25

Thank you everyone for your replies! It's sad to hear Phil is no longer with us. This scope is like no other. My original plan was to build a garden observatory for it but fate decided otherwise.  

Hi Mick

That's the scope you bought from me  quite a while back I had the mirror recoated I remember giving you the refractor as a extra great scope but very big

Tom .

Don't know if you remember what you paid me for it pm me for the price if you want

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...