NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Need help with the Skywatcher 72ED

Hi everyone! 

Just received my first proper telescope, the skywatcher 72ed. Have a few questions about it which I haven't been able to find the answers to anywhere. My scope seems to not have a retractable dew shield and came with a lens cover that just pops on and off rather than a threaded one like I have seen many others. Is this just the updated or newer version of the scope? I also am wanting to get the stellamira 0.8x reducer and flattener and know its compatible with the scope but unsure of the adaptors needed for it. I have got the m48 t ring to attach my dslr and also have the skywatcher camera rotator. I have seen that apparently the rotator isn't compatible with that flattener, only the skywatcher one and ifs that's the case then that's fine but what adapters would I need to be able to connect it all up? Thanks in advance and clear skies!

• Like 1

I'm very new to this, so bare that in mind.

I got mine and the dew shield would only detach with the lens cell. Sent it back. Replacement seems fine. Newer models hood unscrews, older slides up and down.

I needed an adapter from flo to screw into the back of the focus tube. My Stella Lyra flattener then screws into that. A m48 to Tring (not certain of the names) screws into that.

Currently I don't know of a way to put a rotator in my image train. It might not be possible.

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

Hi, welcome to SGL.

Pretty much what Tiff said.

The dew shield is not retractable, only the cap comes off.

The Skywatcher rotator, as far as I remember, only fits the Skywatcher 0.85 reducer.

If you want to use a rotator, this one from RVO will work with the OVL / Stellamira 1x flattener, not sure about the 0.8x reducer though. As long as it has M48 threads, then it will be fine. If you're unsure, you can always email FLO or RVO and they will point you in the right direction.

I have both of the above flatteners and rotators. Your image train would be as follows:

Scope End --> Rotator --> Flattener or Reducer --> T-ring --> DSLR

• Like 1