NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I need help choosing my next telescope!

Hello everyone! For a bit of context:

I’m not an absolute beginner, I owned an Astromaster 130eq and the Celestron 1.25”eyepiece and filter Kit and I was very happy with the views I got but unfortunately I had to sell my equipment. I have no problem with an EQ mount and actually prefer them over dobsonians or ALTAZ mounts but I’m open to suggestions.

Right now I’m not into astrophotography since my budget is limited at the moment.

I live in Mexico but I’ll be shopping from US websites so international shipping is necessary.

My budget consists of $850-900 USD tops including some eyepieces and shipping.

Since I can’t afford two telescopes for two different purposes, versatility is much appreciated. My old Astromaster wasn’t the best telescope ever but I did check a lot of Messier objects off my viewing list since we have a lot of clear nights per year. I could also get fairly decent views of Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Venus and the Moon (the moon filter in the celestron kit helped A LOT).

I’ll be observing mostly from an urban area with low light pollution but I can ocasoionally move to exceptionally low polluted rural areas. 

I’m not married with Celestron but I trust them. I own two pairs of Celestron binoculars and they both do the job just fine. I’m open to new brand suggestions.

Having said that, my only option at the moment is a Celestron Omni XLT and the same Celestron eyepiece kit (I remember the big eyepieces were the best from that kit, the ones with low focal length were good enough but not great).

Those two pieces of equipment cost a total of $850, shipping included. Since I’ve only got that much money I don’t want to mess up and buy the Omni XLT and those eyepieces without hearing suggestions and considering more options.

Some people have told me I could get a dobsonian but my main issue is the difficulty to track an object at high magnifications. If you could give me some insight on how that could work, that would be awesome.

Thank you all in advance!

Alfred.

Hello, I am a beginner so I'm sure other people will come along with better suggestions but I do recommend the Celestron Nexstar 6SE. I've had 8SE ($400+ more) for the last few months and not had any problems with it, quick and easy to set up, I got Starsense after a month and now alignment takes a few minutes, I've enjoyed using it to learn where everything is. So far, I've just been using the stock eyepiece it came with, a 25mm Plossl. I was going to get the Celestron eyepiece kit but others on here convinced me not too, instead I've ordered a zoom eyepiece for similar money to the kit. 

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Celestron-NexStar-6SE-GoTo-Schmidt-Cassegrain-Telescope/rc/2160/p/9945.uts?refinementValueIds=4699

I do also recommend dobsonians, so for the same money you could get this with a larger aperture, still on a goto mount. And this one comes with 2 Plossls, 25mm and 10mm. 

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Orion-SkyQuest-XT8i-IntelliScope-Dobsonian-Telescope/rc/2160/p/102012.uts?refinementValueIds=4699

Just my beginner 2 cents.

Some good scope suggestions for the money above, but avoid kits of eyepieces if you can.

They tend to be a bundle of the lowest quality and you will soon find yourself looking for upgrades.

Generally the 20 - 25mm eyepiece included with most scopes is pretty usable, the 10mm is passable, but tends to be pretty poor.

A decent 2x barlow and a zoom eyepiece may be a better proposition, I've recently picked up the 10-30mm svbony zoom and have been really happy with it so far (although my budget for expensive glass is non existent so not much to compare it to)

The nexstar scopes are pretty nice, fairly portable and easy to use, I have a 4SE but would recommend you go larger

I'd say that if you want a smallish telescope that is not too expensive to ship, purely for visual use, the choice is wide, and really up to you.

Possibilities include: a long focal length achromatic refractor, a Newtonian,  a Maksutov or a small SCT all suitable for viewing planets, double stars, planetary nebulae, small galaxies and suchlike.

A short focal length achromatic refractor is suited for viewing star clusters, comets and not a lot else.  But it can be used for experiments in astro-imaging when coupled with a suitable mount.

On the subject of mounts you can choose between an unpowered equatorial, an equatorial with RA motor drive, or a GoTo which finds stuff and also tracks.   With GoTo mounts, an equatorial is an unwelcome complication unless you are using it for long exposure deep space astrophotography - an alt-azimuth GoTo covers all other bases and is easier to setup and use.  Your budget in Mexico may exclude GoTo mounts.

As for eyepieces, avoid those kits as they give poor value and contain stuff you may rarely if ever use.  Accept what comes bundled with the scope and buy about two more good quality eyepieces that suit your usage.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GalaticBoba said:

Hello, I am a beginner so I'm sure other people will come along with better suggestions but I do recommend the Celestron Nexstar 6SE. I've had 8SE ($400+ more) for the last few months and not had any problems with it, quick and easy to set up, I got Starsense after a month and now alignment takes a few minutes, I've enjoyed using it to learn where everything is. So far, I've just been using the stock eyepiece it came with, a 25mm Plossl. I was going to get the Celestron eyepiece kit but others on here convinced me not too, instead I've ordered a zoom eyepiece for similar money to the kit. 

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Celestron-NexStar-6SE-GoTo-Schmidt-Cassegrain-Telescope/rc/2160/p/9945.uts?refinementValueIds=4699

I do also recommend dobsonians, so for the same money you could get this with a larger aperture, still on a goto mount. And this one comes with 2 Plossls, 25mm and 10mm. 

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Orion-SkyQuest-XT8i-IntelliScope-Dobsonian-Telescope/rc/2160/p/102012.uts?refinementValueIds=4699

Just my beginner 2 cents.

Honestly the 6SE looks awesome but it goes over my budget by $100 because of the shipping fees. Also I wouldn’t be able to buy eyepieces if I spend all the money on the scope itself…

I wish I could afford it but at the moment I believe I can’t.

The 5SE is $120 cheaper you could get the 4SE and a couple EPs but I would get the biggest scope you can and get an extra EP later.

https://www.telescope.com/mobile/catalog/search.cmd?keyword=Celestron 5se&siteCode=US

Newtonians will give you better value for money in terms of aperture, this 6 inch is on a goto mount for $700.

https://www.telescope.com/mobileProduct/Orion-StarSeeker-IV-150mm-GoTo-Reflector-with-Controller/113917.uts?keyword=Orion newtonian

I've only get experience with these two scopes so can't really recommend anything else.

https://www.telescope.com/Orion-StarSeeker-IV-127mm-GoTo-Mak-Cass-with-Controller/p/113918.uts?ensembleId=422

That kit comes with or without a hand-controller, according to preference.  Without the hand-controller, you would use a "smartphone" and an app to control the telescope.

You can always accessorise the telescope later.  I've always thought it prudent to get the best telescope or kit with the current budget, then to get extras down the line, over the following weeks, months and years.

Don't consider a 5SE, as a 127mm Maksutov will slay it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Alan64 said:

https://www.telescope.com/Orion-StarSeeker-IV-127mm-GoTo-Mak-Cass-with-Controller/p/113918.uts?ensembleId=422

That kit comes with or without a hand-controller, according to preference.  Without the hand-controller, you would use a "smartphone" and an app to control the telescope.

You can always accessorise the telescope later.  I've always thought it prudent to get the best telescope or kit with the current budget, then to get extras down the line, over the following weeks, months and years.

I have this combination (in its European guise) and I've been very pleased with it so far.

I originally got the mount with a 150mm Newtonian, and the newt, with its slightly larger light grasp and wider field of view, can access some of the DSOs better than the Mak; I use it on the moonless nights. But the Mak has matched it on resolving doubles, and has been strong with solar system objects.

As mentioned above, the Mak has a long focal length (~1500mm) and narrow field of view, so a tracking mount comes in handy. But the Mak design packs up that focal length into a tube that's much shorter than the reflector, making it very portable for holidays and dark sites. Another benefit here is improved stability on the mount: the Star Seeker/Star Discovery mount with the 1 1/4" tripod is decent enough for the money, but the newt takes a while to settle when touched and it wobbles a bit in wind - even though it's a fastish F/5. The shorter Mak tube, although it gives higher magnifications, is noticeably more solid in use.

I've since stuck on a Telrad and replaced the red dot finder with a 9x50, but the increased weight has been handled by the mount. I prefer using the app/wifi method of control because it works well with the planetarium/planning software that I use. Others like to have a physical handset.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zermelo said:

I have this combination (in its European guise) and I've been very pleased with it so far.

I originally got the mount with a 150mm Newtonian, and the newt, with its slightly larger light grasp and wider field of view, can access some of the DSOs better than the Mak; I use it on the moonless nights. But the Mak has matched it on resolving doubles, and has been strong with solar system objects.

As mentioned above, the Mak has a long focal length (~1500mm) and narrow field of view, so a tracking mount comes in handy. But the Mak design packs up that focal length into a tube that's much shorter than the reflector, making it very portable for holidays and dark sites. Another benefit here is improved stability on the mount: the Star Seeker/Star Discovery mount with the 1 1/4" tripod is decent enough for the money, but the newt takes a while to settle when touched and it wobbles a bit in wind - even though it's a fastish F/5. The shorter Mak tube, although it gives higher magnifications, is noticeably more solid in use.

I've since stuck on a Telrad and replaced the red dot finder with a 9x50, but the increased weight has been handled by the mount. I prefer using the app/wifi method of control because it works well with the planetarium/planning software that I use. Others like to have a physical handset.

Yes, you have the same mount, which enables the telescope to be used manually, in the event of battery, motor or computer failures; or, if simply wanting to observe free-style.

This Sky-Watcher option has been available in the U.S. for a little while...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1404590-REG/sky_watcher_s21130_skymax_127_az_gti_mount.html

It can be operated manually as well, via its "Freedom Find" feature, but it does not come with a hand-controller; only wi-fi enabled for control with a "smartphone" and app.  A hand-controller may be purchased separately, however.

14 minutes ago, Alan64 said:

This Sky-Watcher option has been available in the U.S. for a little while...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1404590-REG/sky_watcher_s21130_skymax_127_az_gti_mount.html

It can be operated manually as well, via its "Freedom Find" feature, but it does not come with a hand-controller; only wi-fi enabled for control with a "smartphone" and app.  A hand-controller may be purchased separately, however.

Interesting that their bundled 127 comes with the 1.25" visual back (which seems to be the norm in Europe) but the standalone OTA has the 2" back.

51 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

Interesting that their bundled 127 comes with the 1.25" visual back (which seems to be the norm in Europe) but the standalone OTA has the 2" back.

I can't help but wonder just how practical that is, given the hole in the centre of a Maksutov's primary-mirror; perhaps an itty-bitty wider view, I've no idea.

7 minutes ago, Alan64 said:

I can't help but wonder just how practical that is, given the hole in the centre of a Maksutov's primary-mirror; perhaps an itty-bitty wider view, I've no idea.

It's been discussed recently here.
Apparently the hole/baffle diameter in the 127 does cause some vignetting with the 2" path, but the drop in brightness towards the edges is not excessive.

28 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

It's been discussed recently here.
Apparently the hole/baffle diameter in the 127 does cause some vignetting with the 2" path, but the drop in brightness towards the edges is not excessive.

Yes, I've read about that elsewhere, but I wouldn't know for certain until I experienced it myself.  It's in the effort to transform a Maksutov into an "all rounder"; great success, or some?

On 04/09/2021 at 21:18, Alan64 said:

This looks really sweet NGL. Would be perfect if sold without the GoTo mount since I’m not interested in an automated mount. Also because of taxes and shipping I'd end up paying more than $1,300 USD for this scope…  
I was also considering a Skyview 8 Pro until i encountered with the same issue 😕

6 hours ago, Freddy L said:

This looks really sweet NGL. Would be perfect if sold without the GoTo mount since I’m not interested in an automated mount.

Without the mount, it's a 127mm MAK and you can buy a 127 Mak (telescope only) from various suppliers. Often it's the same telescope from the same factory with different brandings.  The Orion Starseeker IV looks essentially the same as the Celestron 127mm Mak SLT which I own, or the Skywatcher 127mm Mak Synscan sold in the UK.

Then you need a manual mount, and you have various choices.  It is less bother (and often cheaper) to buy the telescope and mount as a package, but if this does not suit your requirements there is no need to do so.

This is the Orion 127mm f/12 Maksutov, and sold separately...

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Orion-Apex-127mm-Maksutov-Cassegrain-Telescope/rc/2160/p/9825.uts

However, it comes equipped with an Amici/corrected-image diagonal, for use during the day, as a spotting-scope; birds in trees, ships at sea, that sort of thing.  Although, I strongly recommend a Celestron star-prism diagonal when using the telescope at night...

https://agenaastro.com/celestron-1-25-telescope-star-diagonal.html

The telescope itself, however, is essentially the same as the Sky-Watcher 127mm , but in the U.S. the Sky-Watcher comes with a 2" visual-back and a 2" star-diagonal. The word "star" says it all, and again, for use at night...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1141693-REG/sky_watcher_s11520_127mm_maksutov_cassegrain_ota.html

That would be one of the ones to get, among the 127mm offerings of the design.

You can then place it onto the mount of your choice.

Incidentally, I have a 127mm Maksutov myself...

Maksutov5c.jpg.4243806347ecbf56dd17a4f64c8ac162.jpg

It's the same the Bresser sold in Europe.  Its focal-length is a bit longer, at 1900mm versus 1500mm for the Orion and Sky-Watcher models.

In the U.S., it is known as the Explore Scientific "First Light"...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1291487-REG/explore_scientific_fl_mc1271900tn_firstlight_127mm_f_15_alt_az.html?ap=y&smp=y

It has a smaller secondary-obstruction, always a plus, and a full 127mm aperture.  The Orion and Sky-Watcher 127mm Maksutovs operate at about a 118-120mm aperture, not the full 127mm as advertised, and with a slightly larger obstruction.  Those are two of three reasons why I chose the ES.

But be forewarned, as a Maksutov is relatively blind under the night sky compared to other types of telescopes with its length and width, similarly.  That is why you often see Maksutovs combined with a go-to mount.  On a manual mount, you will need a good finder, to help the telescope to "see" better and find its way round the night sky.

21 hours ago, Alan64 said:

The Orion and Sky-Watcher 127mm Maksutovs operate at about a 118-120mm aperture, not the full 127mm as advertised, and with a slightly larger obstruction.  Those are two of three reasons why I chose the ES.

Yes, and that presumably accounts for the varying focal ratios quoted for this scope!  I read somewhere that the Synta 127s were consciously designed to shorten the normal Mak focal length, to give them a wider field of view and make them more of a general-purpose instrument. As the OP talks about wanting a single scope, and is looking to use it on an undriven mount, that might be a point in its favour. But as you say, this compromise has downsides too.

21 hours ago, Alan64 said:

On a manual mount, you will need a good finder, to help the telescope to "see" better and find its way round the night sky.

Seconded. I replaced the red dot finder with a 9x50 RACI, and there was just about room on the OTA for a Telrad (there's plenty of room for a Rigel).

Edited by Zermelo