NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Old school Prinz 660, 76mm F/16 refractor

Here is my latest toy, a very well preserved and complete 76mm F/16.4 refractor with a Canon made doublet from the late 1970โ€™s๐Ÿ™‚

I disposed of the Sun filter ๐Ÿ‘

I beefed up the tripod a little, converted it to 1.25โ€ eyepieces and added a 50mm RACI - the original 6x30 finder is superb but sadly straight through does not suit my back.

Collimation is perfect, just waiting for darkness to do a star testโ€ฆ..

IMG_1692.thumb.jpeg.f494588f42325e0567ab78b1edd450f3.jpeg

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 20

• dweller25 changed the title to Old school Prinz 660, 76mm F/16 refractor

Very nice, like it. I had read that the lenses were made by Kenko, maybe they had multiple suppliers?

As you'll no doubt find out soon enough, the mount is only just adequate. The tripod legs though, are actually quite good. I still use the counterweight on my Tak mount to balance my current scopes๐Ÿ˜

Edited by Roy Challen
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Roy Challen said:

Very nice, like it. I had read that the lenses were made by Kenko, maybe they had multiple suppliers?

As you'll no doubt find out soon enough, the mount is only just adequate. The tripod legs though, are actually quite good. I still use the counterweight on my Tak mount to balance my current scopes๐Ÿ˜

I found this on CN, donโ€™t know if itโ€™s true or not !

KKK series, built by the Kyanon Kamara Kompany (this name was used from 1947 until 1969)ย  - later called Canon Camera Company or OKKK, OKT, Yamatar, Tasco, Royal Astro, Astro, Kenko, Panorama, Towa, Prinz 660, ATCO 1254, etc.

I had the scope on the Moonโ€™s limb last night at x206, amazingly I saw no chromatic aberration and stars were really tight ๐Ÿ™‚

• Like 6

1 hour ago, dweller25 said:

I found this on CN, donโ€™t know if itโ€™s true or not !

KKK series, built by the Kyanon Kamara Kompany (this name was used from 1947 until 1969)ย  - later called Canon Camera Company or OKKK, OKT, Yamatar, Tasco, Royal Astro, Astro, Kenko, Panorama, Towa, Prinz 660, ATCO 1254, etc.

I had the scope on the Moonโ€™s limb last night at x206, amazingly I saw no chromatic aberration and stars were really tight ๐Ÿ™‚

Wise to change k's to c's!

I'm not at all surprised at x206, that's a good mag for close doubles, but I've had it over x300 on the moon in great seeing, although floaters are getting severe by that point, and the view is dimmer than I'd like. But it's still nice and sharp.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

, razor sharp, great contrast and no CA ๐Ÿ™‚

Thats what I thought when I first used my Elliott / BC&F 3 inch F16 brass refractor. I don't think I've used a refractor (or any scope) with that focal ratio before and it was a bit of a revelationย ๐Ÿ™‚

ย 

• Like 2

On 20/06/2024 at 04:58, Mr Spock said:

Lovely scopes these. My first scope was a Prinz 550. Idiot me sold it to pay for driving lessons!

Same here! I did make full use of my driving licence however, and I did use the eyepiece sun filter, gulp!

Posted (edited)

This 76mm F/16 ย refractor is a bit of a revelation for me.

A 50 year old Achromat, with a prism diagonal, an achromatic barlow and Huygens eyepieces, still sharp at x200 and no spherical aberration or chromatic aberration - at focus - and a FRACTION of the price of a modern 3โ€ APO.

Itโ€™s even nice to focus as there is a very wide focal point compared to a modern F/8 APO.

Iโ€™m enjoying a bit of solar projection too ๐Ÿ™‚

However at 1.2m long it needs a much more beefier mount than the one supplied but that can be sorted.

I am having more FUN with this scope than the TSA120 - I have to get my serious head on for that scope ๐Ÿคฃ

ย 

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have converted the scope to use a Vixen dovetail so I can use it on my motorised Vixen GP, it works great, very stable and superb optics. Quite amazing for an old Achromat. It even looks good ๐Ÿ™‚

Waiting for Saturn nowโ€ฆ.. ๐Ÿ˜

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Old meets new - the 76mm F/16 on a motorised Vixen GP with modsโ€ฆ.

A Vixen dovetail.

An 8x50 RACI finder.

A Baader 1.25โ€ visual back.

It does not look as good as the original setup but it is very stable when focussing at x200 ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

IMG_1788.thumb.jpeg.4c617ced732a947c58656a812336a0ea.jpeg

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, dweller25 said:

ย 

It does not look as good as the original setup but it is very stable when focussing at x200 ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

IMG_1788.thumb.jpeg.4c617ced732a947c58656a812336a0ea.jpeg

Looks pretty good to me ๐Ÿ˜Šย 

• Like 1