Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Do you get much observing done during the summer?

I guess part of the problem for you Nicola, even more of a problem for me, is that in Wicklow you are several degrees west of 0 degrees longitude. Which means sunset and darkness happens 20-odd minutes later local time than if you were in say London. For me, it’s 36 minutes. During the summer by the time it gets dark it’s very late and I’m often just too tired. Having said that, I am seriously considering getting my SV 140 out tonight as it’s a clear and windless evening, the first for a while.

Magnus

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Captain Scarlet said:

I guess part of the problem for you Nicola, even more of a problem for me, is that in Wicklow you are several degrees west of 0 degrees longitude. Which means sunset and darkness happens 20-odd minutes later local time than if you were in say London. For me, it’s 36 minutes. During the summer by the time it gets dark it’s very late and I’m often just too tired. Having said that, I am seriously considering getting my SV 140 out tonight as it’s a clear and windless evening, the first for a while.

Magnus

You think you've got problems.  I am at 18W and in the same time zone as the UK.

Local solar time is over an hour adrift from civil time for half the year and over two hours during the summer. Despìte being at 28N, the sky is still bright over in the west and it is notionally 21:45 right now. Anyone would think I was living in Scotland!

FWIW, the cloud cover has been total today / tonight.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Captain Scarlet said:

Magnus

Yes, I think you’re right Magnus. Often I go outside for a look around 10.30 or so and it’s still quite bright. It’s easier to go to bed, especially if I have to function the next day! 
I think I just need to make more of an effort - the answers are overwhelmingly in support of summer observing!

• Like 3

I observe all year round, and the only things that determines how often are the weather and real life priorities, not how dark it is.

There lots to see in lighter skies, and lots other than just the sun to observe in ptretty much  broad daylight, and many things are only doable in summer e.g. Sagittarius and looking in towards the centre of the milky way.

• Thanks 1

I don't use my main scope at all between may and the back end of August.  Planets are often nice though for the warmer nights but I tend to concentrate on other hobbies.

• Thanks 1