NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

R-Sky Monks Hood

Many years back I purchased a Black Monks Hood, not in my bid to start a Monastic life, but to improve my observing.

The R Sky of old was made in Russia and supplied from the business in Russia. Clearly having exported something other than sold goods has changed things and I thought they were no more.

I was pleasantly surprised to find R Sky are now made in the USA and available from our forum sponsor here in the UK.

My original Black one still is in very good condition after a lot of use, so I have high expectations of the Solar one.

IMG_8647.thumb.jpeg.985687ba68cb1d0396554cd66b232fdd.jpeg

Having struggled under the black one Solar observing and then tried hats and towels etc. but all nothing like the Monks Hood, so a White one was purchased.

Very well made and heavy duty, the only concern is not making it grubby as White and myself only work with my name, not fabric.

IMG_8650.thumb.jpeg.669064cf2cfc286ea921a0d8f5cb917a.jpeg

IMG_8651.thumb.jpeg.291b66213158ae84227b699b2588db32.jpeg

Inside it’s black, that stops reflection inside if light leaks from the front.

The material itself is thick and blocks most of the light, it’s thicker and more light blocking at the front.

My evaluation thus far is it’s a good item.

IMG_8648.thumb.jpeg.bf8aa47495f2f2899d59fb9c24986cca.jpeg

Update to follow in 6 months time, maybe , depending upon my memory. 

• Like 12

12 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Two of them, now, Alan? You’ll be joining a religious order next.

Being able to be on the Darkside or The Lightside, well it must be a Jedi order!

• Haha 1

I should have noted in the Review, sorry,
The Material is very similar if not the same (except colour) from the Russian Made one.
The quality of manufacture is very similar if not the same too.

21 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Two of them, now, Alan? You’ll be joining a religious order next.

I would have to say, attempting amateur astronomy in the UK considering the weather, involves a lot of faith? The only question is: Who on this forum would be best to lead the new order? What would you call it? 😉

• Haha 2

I've been on exactly the same journey, have had a dark one for a long time, found it too hot for solar, have tried innumerable ideas to keep cool and dark doing solar with varying degrees of success and recently got a white hood  which does help.

• Like 3

These look great. Thanks for taking the time to write your review. I also notice that they have observing vests with a hood which rather appeal to me.

Personally I’d go for the white solar version even for nighttime viewing. The interior is black in all versions so the colour on the outside isn’t going to matter at night. But white is obviously cooler during solar/daylight. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

These look great. Thanks for taking the time to write your review. I also notice that they have observing vests with a hood which rather appeal to me.

Personally I’d go for the white solar version even for nighttime viewing. The interior is black in all versions so the colour on the outside isn’t going to matter at night. But white is obviously cooler during solar/daylight. 

But the all Black version allows a good impersonation of the Emperor from Star Wars…..

Get your priorities right, that’s what I say.

image.png.960be54a414dbeeed71ba6720c486122.png 
It just does not work with the White one.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Alan White said:

But the all Black version allows a good impersonation of the Emperor from Star Wars…..

Get your priorities right, that’s what I say.

image.png.960be54a414dbeeed71ba6720c486122.png 
It just does not work with the White one.

That's me, when I get back inside from a really late session.

• Haha 1

Ah, but if you go with the white one, you could pull off an equally good impersonation of Ezio from Assassin's Creed! Decisions, decisions...

On a more serious note, Alan, it says on the website that with the hood on, you don't have to close your off-eye while viewing, is this true in your experience?

Posted (edited)

For those who have both, I have found that if you stack them with the white one outside and the black one inside you get a better blackout and you get better insulation from the heat of the sun.

Edited by Paz
  • Like 2

On 04/06/2024 at 08:21, Oscar23 said:

Ah, but if you go with the white one, you could pull off an equally good impersonation of Ezio from Assassin's Creed! Decisions, decisions...

On a more serious note, Alan, it says on the website that with the hood on, you don't have to close your off-eye while viewing, is this true in your experience?

Partly yes, but it depends on what’s under you.

I observe from a concrete slab base, this is light in daytime and renders the both eyes open idea a bit moot, but it does stop the peripheral light being a problem. If you observe on grass I am sure the point made is correct.

• Thanks 1

On 04/06/2024 at 08:21, Oscar23 said:

I used mine for the first time last night and I was easily able to keep both eyes open . I was on grass though as Alan says above. I always observe with both eyes open as it's much more comfortable for lengthy periods at the eyepiece. I used to use an eye patch often as well.

• Like 1

I did try an eyepatch, but since it didn't hold my eye closed, the eye didn't "shut off" so looking through the eyepiece, it just looked darker to me, since the blacked-out view through my left eye was just being interpolated with what I'm seeing in my right eye. I usually just cover my off-eye with my hand holding the eyelid closed. I suspect trying to keep both eyes open with the observing hood would have the same results as the eyepatch, for me.

14 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

You are supposed to keep both eyes open and not close the other eye. It's natural and comfortable to keep both eyes open.

I've got a nordic style hat with ear flaps and tassles my mam bought for me years and years ago and rotate one of the flaps over my left eye when observing.  I also find it much more comfortable observing with both eyes open.  I don't know what it is but I find it much more tiring having to hold one eye shut.

• Like 2