NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First light Planetary for QHY5 - Saturn

Roy Batty

Taken tonight using x2 barlow on the C8-N, 800 odd frames from a 1000 frame AVI. I used registax 4 to process this one instead of 5 as the result seemed to turn out better in 4, don't ask me why:icon_scratch:. I think you can see some nice banding coming through though, so I'm well pleased with this first go at Saturn with the QHY5.

cheers

Keith

Saturn08May09.tif

Yes, for some reason my pc has started opening all the S/gL images in p/shop.....but it allowed me to increase the scale of your Saturn there Neil, which it handled very well.....a nice first shot with the camera - it's allways good to get something worthwhile with the first use of new gear....!:icon_rolleyes:

QHY5 is mono CCD right?

do you take this with RGBL filters?

Actually the QHY5 is a CMOS, but yes its mono chip. The colour is achieved through the QGVideo capture application - there is a colour camera tick option which I think applies an artifical colour matrix to the data with the option to adjust the RGB levels of the streamed data.

cheers

Keith

I'll have to try that, I imagined that it'd be for the colour QHY5 .

Karlo

I'm a bit non-plused myself - there's both mono and colour QHY5's but it looks like the QGVideo app can't distinguish between them:icon_scratch:

Does anyone know if the AVI file format can be flagged as mono or RGB?

While pondering on this one here's the image a bit bigger from a re-stack whilst playing about with K3CCD and registax 5...

Keith

post-13528-133877371804_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You've got me puzzled also. I'll have to give this a try when I am out side imaging Jupiter with my QHY5 and Orion (UK) SPX 200-1200.

I have one possible explanation, it could be the same process used with this camera, as is used to convert old Black and White movies into colour? I don't know the technical stuff.

Archived