Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kemble’s Cascade

AlcorAlly

Refractor 3" f7.5 + binoviewer
Two views combined at ~40x which gave about ~3.6 degrees total FOV. Drawn across two nights last week.

I really enjoyed observing and drawing this asterism.
Kemble's  description captures it perfectly:

“A beautiful cascade of faint stars tumbling from the northwest down to the open cluster NGC 1502.” 

image.thumb.png.b3fdfb2a50071b2be2d6dd2740bccc7b.png

• Like 21

Posted (edited)

That is splendid @AlcorAlly 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Which binoviewers are you using with your FC 76DCU? And are you using a GPC to reach focus?

Edited by JeremyS
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Which binoviewers are you using with your FC 76DCU? And are you using a GPC to reach focus?

Thank you Jeremy. It’s MaxBright II with 1.7 GPC, which just about reaches focus with 2-3 mm to spare. I feel the GPC gives slightly less than 1.7x magnification increase, 1.6 perhaps? 

IMG_0019.thumb.jpeg.98a590a12cab0d6715f3baf19701005e.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AlcorAlly said:

Thank you Jeremy. It’s MaxBright II with 1.7 GPC, which just about reaches focus with 2-3 mm to spare. I feel the GPC gives slightly less than 1.7x magnification increase, 1.6 perhaps? 

IMG_0019.thumb.jpeg.98a590a12cab0d6715f3baf19701005e.jpeg

Lovely sketch Ally, it’s a really nice asterism, especially in a wide field of view.

I think I’ve read that the x1.7 gives more like x1.5, although I’ve never tried to measure it.

Out of interest, is there a shorter fitting available between binoviewer and focuser as the Clicklock takes up a fair bit of optical path?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Stu said:

Out of interest, is there a shorter fitting available between binoviewer and focuser as the Clicklock takes up a fair bit of optical path?

This is the shortest one I found by looking at @MalcolmM's helpful photographs. Takahashi's own 2 inch adapter seems to have longer optical path. Baader ultra short clamp would be nice but it's not compatible with M56i Tak thread.

But this combination gives about ~1.8° which is not too bad at all. 15mm more would have to be saved somewhere to use the 1.25 GPC...

Edited by AlcorAlly
  • Like 2