NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Smart computer monitor?

I'm shopping to fit out my new observatory.  I'm in the market for a 21" or 24" computer monitor.  Ideally I'd like to be able to turn it on and off whilst sitting at the eyepiece, so an Alexa-enabled monitor would seem like the ideal solution.  Does anyone know if such a beast exists?

Thanks

Are you looking to completely power off the monitor? The monitor we have on the pc goes to a power off mode when the pc is off, is that what's in your thoughts?

1 hour ago, M40 said:

Are you looking to completely power off the monitor? The monitor we have on the pc goes to a power off mode when the pc is off, is that what's in your thoughts?

It's the ability to turn the monitor on and off independently of turning the computer that I'm after.

1 hour ago, michaelmorris said:

That would turn it off, but not sure it would turn it on again!

Yes it would of course….the plug will turn it on and off, but when it’s turned on, if there is no live PC connected it will go on to standby after a few seconds just like it would anyway…

I have used them for years on all sorts of things…

This may be of interest - allows you to use an Echo Show as a pc monitor.   I use mine to display the observatory internal camera (Ring Doorbell Cam) whenever the mount slews so I can monitor cable snags remotely or crazy wild card mount moves!

https://jonnychipz.com/2020/11/16/turn-your-amazon-echo-show-device-into-an-addition-pc-monitor/comment-page-1/

Jim 

Just another thought - Alexa is often built into Smart TVs - would that work?  Not sure if it can be used to turn the monitor off though! You can voice command the screen off/on on an Alexa Show though and keep the underlying programme running - music etc. The voice command is simply "Alexa Screen Off/On".

Jim 

Another option you could look at is an hdmi switch. There are lots out there that use a handheld remote and some that have a pc interface. I have a bluestream 4k hdmi switch with push buttons, never tried a pc operated device but a quick check found a bluestream device with pc interface, they are not cheap though. By switching off the hdmi input to the monitor it would go to standby mode. Food for though anyway. All the best.

Maybe I am missing something, but you buy a monitor, and an Alexa smart plug, and plug the monitor into the smart plug, smart plug into the wall outlet, turn the monitor on, and then control it on and off through the smart plug, via an app on smartphone or tablet, or via voice if you have an Alexa unit…….simples….🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Like 1

On 30/04/2024 at 16:14, michaelmorris said:

That would turn it off, but not sure it would turn it on again!

you can setup a routine so monitor on/off with a smart plug

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

you can setup a routine so monitor on/off with a smart plug

Yes, that too….but does not seem to fit the OP’s needs…..🤷🏼‍♂️

23 hours ago, michaelmorris said:

I'm looking at a 21" or 24" monitor, so an Echo Show is out.😟

What about the Show 15, its 15.6 inches HD. Fire TV incorporated.

Echo Show 15

Jim

27 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Yes, that too….but does not seem to fit the OP’s needs…..🤷🏼‍♂️

well i am perplexied as to what OP wants. Apart from On/Off or pull the plug

• Like 1

when i plug my screen on it is in standbye  mode so awaiting a signal as scans all modes so no need to press a power button i have a Samsung and HP monitor ? So a Smart plug works as i tried it

• Like 1

Just now, fozzybear said:

when i plug my screen on it is in standbye  mode so awaiting a signal as scans all modes so no need to press a power button i have a Samsung and HP monitor ? So a Smart plug works as i tried it

as long as the host PC is on

Posted (edited)

To make this a bit clearer, a monitor will switch on when supplied power from an off state and will show the connected pc feed as long as power save modes have been switched off on the pc (screensavers also need to be turned off so you can see the operating system UI). This means the pc is constantly on.

If power save mode is enabled on the pc, a newly powered monitor will switch on briefly, then also revert to a standby mode or no signal mode due to the pc being in standby or sleep mode and not transmitting a signal over the video connection.

Edited by Elp

22 hours ago, Elp said:

Use a broomstick?

Why do you want this feature whilst at the eyepiece?

or a remote control!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, saac said:

or a remote control!

I like the broomstick idea, doesn't need batteries or any electronics.

59 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

Yes I tried it too, and would work just as the OP asked for….🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️