NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC2392

Located in Gemini about 5000 light years distant, NGC 2392 is a planetary nebula and represents the remains of a dying star. Formed about 10000 years ago after it exhausted its core hydrogen, the star started to cool and massively expand, forming a red giant. During this process, the cooler outer layers of the star were ejected leaving behind a hot core.  The interaction between the radiation of the hot core and the ejection processes creates filament structures. Eventually, the star will become a white dwarf.  

The object has a very small apparent size, so to maximise detail, I decided to discard any sub-frames with poor seeing.  Although some detail is revealed, I was a bit disappointed with the result.   On reflection, since the core is relatively bright, I think that a lucky imaging approach with the core, combined with a traditional approach for the outer layers, would have yielded a more optimum result.

The LRGB image below was taken with my Esprit 150 and represents about 10 hours integration time.

Alan

29_crop.jpg.fa3955dd425323132c273b5cdc597c96.jpg

L:16, R:14, G: 12, B:16 x 600s all at -20C.

• Like 18

4 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Great image! this is such an odd object, it seems so out of place, like something you’d see in an original series Star Trek episode.

At first glance, i genuinely thought it was a padlock symbol/watermark indicating copyright or something related :(

Nice definition of the Eskimo Nebula, not an easy one to do as your guiding has to be good. I did start it a few seasons back, nothing like seeing a perfect circular ball of O3 sitting there in the middle of the star field.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, simmo39 said:

That looks so good to me!

18 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Great image! this is such an odd object, it seems so out of place, like something you’d see in an original series Star Trek episode.

Yes, it does look very odd and very unreal - it looks to me like a giant alien eye !

14 hours ago, Adriano said:

Very nice image!

Thanks !

14 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

At first glance, i genuinely thought it was a padlock symbol/watermark indicating copyright or something related

Yes, it 's weird :hello:

14 hours ago, Elp said:

Nice definition of the Eskimo Nebula, not an easy one to do as your guiding has to be good. I did start it a few seasons back, nothing like seeing a perfect circular ball of O3 sitting there in the middle of the star field.

Thanks - FYI this is an unguided image - I gave up guiding several years ago after frustrations of loosing the guide star due to passing clouds - I haven't regretted it.

Alan

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, alan4908 said:

Yes, it does look very odd and very unreal - it looks to me like a giant alien eye !

Thanks !

Yes, it 's weird :hello:

Thanks - FYI this is an unguided image - I gave up guiding several years ago after frustrations of loosing the guide star due to passing clouds - I haven't regretted it.

Alan

Weird yes, but in a good way, as i makes you look closer and then really appreciate it. In fact, striking is a better word to describe it :) 

Im just getting started with guiding and its going ok ;)

On 15/04/2024 at 09:51, TiffsAndAstro said:

Weird yes, but in a good way, as i makes you look closer and then really appreciate it. In fact, striking is a better word to describe it :) 

Im just getting started with guiding and its going ok ;)

Thanks and good luck with the guiding !

On 15/04/2024 at 10:08, Elp said:

Unguided is even more impressive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alan4908 said:

Thanks and good luck with the guiding !

Have to say Nina (and phd2)  is amazing. it does everything except taking lens caps on/off and physically adjusting the alt/az bolts

Edited by TiffsAndAstro