Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dear Ethos Owners - Which is Your Favourite?

Which is your favourite Tele Vue Ethos eyepiece?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. My favourite Tele Vue Ethos eyepiece is...

• 3.7 mm
    • 4.7 mm
    • 6 mm
    • 8 mm
    • 10 mm
    • 13 mm
    • 17 mm
    • 21 mm

I hope this isn't like asking a parent with multiple children to pick their favourite child, but...

Which is your favourite Ethos eyepiece, and why?

The reason why I'm asking is that I'm considering adding one (I do have one already, plus a full house of Delos eyepieces).

My favourite is probably the 13mm but the very best performer of the ones I have is the 6mm - I have a quandary 🤔

(I opted for the 13mm in the poll)

I have the 21, 13, 8, 6 and 4.7 in the series and really like them all, of course 🙂

The "why" for the 13mm is based on it's versatility in my old 12 inch F/5.3 dob where it seemed to be able to deliver so well over a wide range of target types. 

I've also owned the 17mm and 3.7mm in the past and liked those as well but the focal lengths were not ones I used much.

Just the dear old 10mm to go, which is reputedly one of the best Ethos, so I'll have to try one, one day 🙂

Edited by John
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the thoughts, John, much appreciated! You are so kind with sharing your knowledge on SGL over all these years. 🫡

I did wonder after posting if for some folks it will mainly come down to basically your favourite focal length in the scope(s) you use. I think I do tend to find around the 12 mm - 14 mm mark particularly pleasing. Not pushing the conditions or my human goto skills (LOL!) too much. I really miss the T6 13 mm Nagler, and kinda regret that we sold it. Sarah just didn't get on with it, perhaps because of the 12 mm eye relief, hence moving it on. But for me, that was a very sweet, compact and light eyepiece! Maybe a 13 mm Ethos would ease my pain a little! :D

I hope you get to try the 10 soon. I'm a bit of a completionist at heart, so perhaps it's quite dangerous for me to risk adding a second Ethos. 😬

Edited by LukeTheNuke
  • Like 1

The choice does depend on the scope focal length of course. 

With my 18" f4.5 dob it used to be the 17mm Nagler that hit the sweet spot. This was replaced by the 13mm Ethos. Same field of view but more magnification hence darker background and better performance on the faint fuzzies. I use the 13mm 80% of the time. It got my vote in your poll.

Recently, with my plate solving finder, I find I use the 10mm more. Not having to search for the object has made a small difference.

I used to have a 6mm, but didnt use it enough so that funded the 10mm. Now I have the 8,10,13,21 and a x2 power mate.

• Like 3

I owned all the Ethos for years, and found the most-used one was the 10mm.  In my 12.5" scope, it had better contrast than either the 8mm or 13mm.

But the sharpest one of all, for Moon, planets, double stars, star clusters (especially small globulars) was the 6mm.  I call it my "100° ortho", LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I bought the 10E first, and it is a beaut in my 15" f4.5 manual dob with P2.

I then bought a 17E, then a 6E ... then added an 8E 🙈😎.  They are all fantastic tbh.  When I bought the 10E, I had chosen to go with the 6-10-17 trio as my base set of EPs.  The 8E (and also a 31T5) are luxury additions.  Done now - haven't bought an EP for that scope in 7 years (- is that a record?! 😅)

I gave my vote to the 10E, but tomorrow it equally could have been the 6E.  It gets quite a bit of use...

• Like 1