Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focusing is simple with a bahtinov mask

Maybe I got very lucky, but, for anyone struggling with manually focusing anything, like me as a noob, I would highly recommend a bahtinov mask.

Any Nobel prize committee members reading this, please consider putting Mr/Dr Bahtinov up for a suitable prize :)

I just dangled the mask from two plastic screws on end of the dew shield and was expecting to barely see the pattern :)

also, anyone struggling in Nina to choose a star to slew to focus on,  click the manual focus icon (rotated star) and choose one from the list :) Nina slew right to it and didn't even plate solve. Not sure how that works but not complaining:)

IMG_20240406_234800.jpg

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Yep, I am visual observer too and I use this method pretty much every time, unless the moon is on show when I might use that to get sharp focus.

i was very worried id need something really bright like jupiter for it to work.  Even the dim stars nowhere near center of my view had them :)

just ordered one for my guide scope.

I have been using a Bahtoniv Mask for years.  I believe Pav Bahtinov not only did not patent his mask, and got little royatlties from it only from some companies who generously thought he deserved it.  I thought I had heard he had since died, but can't seem to find anything on googling,  

I googled it to check and found this interview with him in Russian with sub titles in 2019

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, carastro said:

I have been using a Bahtoniv Mask for years.  I believe Pav Bahtinov not only did not patent his mask, and got little royatlties from it only from some companies who generously thought he deserved it.  I thought I had heard he had since died, but can't seem to find anything on googling,  

I googled it to check and found this interview with him in Russian with sub titles in 2019

I think opticians use similar for some stuff too. 

14 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

For really accurate focusing, I use "Bahtinov Grabber "on my PC, with the Bahtinov mask on the OTA.

It gives a reading of how accurately you have aligned the spikes.

Michael

Will have a look Ty for the tip

My EAF plays up in the Finnish cold, once it is below -15C, so this year I bought a mask for the 90mm APO as a fall back. Saved the day on a couple of occasions now

21 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

i was very worried id need something really bright like jupiter for it to work.  Even the dim stars nowhere near center of my view had them :)

just ordered one for my guide scope.

I guess it depends on the size/design of the mask though? I self printed one for my 80ed and I definitely do need really bright stars for it to be of any use. 
But having said that; yes! They’re invaluable. I went from “I need an EAF!” To “I can spend the money on something else!” Overnight.

Edited by engstrom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, engstrom said:

I guess it depends on the size/design of the mask though? I self printed one for my 80ed and I definitely do need really bright stars for it to be of any use. 
But having said that; yes! They’re invaluable. I went from “I need an EAF!” To “I can spend the money on something else!” Overnight.

I got the one from flo website for £16. Look at the pic I linked, everything in my view had its own diffraction pattern :) even very faint stars

On 08/04/2024 at 11:37, engstrom said:

If you're anything like me, a good eaf would be great, but it's a question priorities: what gets me the biggest improvement for the least cash :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/04/2024 at 11:37, engstrom said:

Any recommendations on where to get good quality 3D files for a given lens / scope?

You'll find some via a Google search. There was a site that would generate a pdf, given the aperture. 

There is a relationship between either Aperture or focal length, and grid fineness