Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Focuser For a Vixen 102m

Will a skywatcher dual focus focuser fit the Vixen 102m with maybe a adapter plate. 

I am thinking my Svbony 3-8mm zoom may work then.

Thanks 

Paul

Edited by wookie1965
  • Like 1

• wookie1965 changed the title to Focuser For a Vixen 102m

Or can someone think of anything to give me more inward travel, I have been told a prism diagonal may help instead of a mirror diagonal, can anyone think of something else please.

2 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I know you won't want to hear this, but cutting a cm off the length of the tube may help. At the focuser end of course!

😬😬 given Paul’s run of bad luck, let’s not go suggesting that please!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Are you using a 2 inch diagonal Paul ?

A 1.25 inch diagonal uses up around 30mm less focuser travel than a 2 inch. A 1.25 inch prism even less.

Note: Looking back at a lot of photos of Vixen SP102M's including the one that I used to own many years ago, I feel that they were designed to work with .965" eyepieces / accessories and 1.25" stuff but never intended for 2" accessories. 

The only instance I came across in the UK where someone has successfully found a 2" focuser that fitted the scope and was short enough to allow 2 inch accessories to be used was when a Moonlite CF focuser was used with a bespoke Moonlite Vixen flange. Other after market focusers tend to be too long to allow the Vixen SP102M's to reach focus with 2 inch accessories unless the scope tube is shortened which is not a route that I would recommend.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John said:

Are you using a 2 inch diagonal Paul ?

A 1.25 inch diagonal uses up around 30mm less focuser travel than a 2 inch. A 1.25 inch prism even less.

Note: Looking back at a lot of photos of Vixen SP102M's including the one that I used to own many years ago, I feel that they were designed to work with .965" eyepieces / accessories and 1.25" stuff but never intended for 2" accessories. 

The only instance I came across in the UK where someone has successfully found a 2" focuser that fitted the scope and was short enough to allow 2 inch accessories to be used was when a Moonlite CF focuser was used with a bespoke Moonlite Vixen flange. Other after market focusers tend to be too long to allow the Vixen SP102M's to reach focus with 2 inch accessories unless the scope tube is shortened which is not a route that I would recommend.

No John it only takes a 1.25" it originally took 0.965" eyepieces. The only reason I wanted to change the focuser was to get more inward travel, not sure a different 1.25" would change it.