Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet 12/P, Andromeda and Aurora

Here’s a couple of recent images I took of the PonsBrooks comet in western Norway, framed with Andromeda and M33 in the case of the landscape shot. That was nearly not to be as at the point of my composition the comet was washed out by some unexpected Aurora. In the end I couldn’t not attempt a blend of the comet stack and the foreground with Aurora. I think it still looks good?

The landscape shot was with an EOS R and Sigma Art 40mm. Sky was tracked with 30s exposures with 30mins total exposure. The foreground was a single 30s exposure. The final image was blended and cropped. 

The other image was shot with the same EOS R and a Samyang 135. Sky tracked with 15s exposure for a total of 26min. 

All images were processed in PixInsight and Photoshop

IMG_4075.thumb.png.144ba049633eab5d38061c4ef51e32f7.png

IMG_4079.thumb.jpeg.863510f5c458413361a8d30763424560.jpeg

• Like 18

Ok, so I’ve looked one last time 😆 It’s pushing the resolution of the image but maybe an even more aggressive crop is cleaner and gives more emphasis to the galaxies and comet?

IMG_4085.thumb.jpeg.d1c4cc51b39f5c4ea55426709d802882.jpeg

• Like 5

That's stunning!

For what it's worth I prefer version 1, M42 just hanging there in all that sky, a work of art.

The pure astro image of the come is very nice to. Its a very nice comet but I've only glimpsed it briefly before it hit the neighbours roof.

• Thanks 1

What a shot! 

I really like the version 1, gives a sense of scale but the third version is a great one too. If it was me, I wouldn't be able to choose between them...

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words everyone 😊

5 hours ago, Paul M said:

That's stunning!

For what it's worth I prefer version 1, 

3 hours ago, WolfieGlos said:

What a shot! 

I really like the version 1, gives a sense of scale but the third version is a great one too. If it was me, I wouldn't be able to choose between them...

3 hours ago, FenlandPaul said:

Love it, and love the aggressive crop. Great capture - one that’s evaded me on account of stubborn clouds to the north!

I do quite like both versions but in hindsight my composition could have been better as M33 was actually caught by accident. My only other annoyance is the trees in the foreground that have caught the nasty orange glow of some nearby street lights. A friend suggested using a radial filter and trying to bring the warmth down. Will give that a go.

I think you’ll have more opportunities to capture it @FenlandPaul! Also, I read it may be naked eye visible soon too @Paul M

• Like 1