Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hunting PNs with RASA: Jones-Emberson-1 (The Headphone Nebula) Widefield

gorann

I though it would be fun to see how much detail my RASA8-rig could show of this well known planetary nebula. I was pleasantly surprised of the details and depth and how zoomable the image was. This PN really looks quite lonely up there, except for some distant galaxies.

7.5 hours with RASA8 and ASI2600MC and IDAS NBZ filter (Ha+Oiii). Processed in PI and PS including the XTerminator tools.

Version A shows the true field of view and version B is a major crop.

Cheers, Göran

20240308 Headphones RASA1+2 PS10sign.jpg

20240308 Headphones RASA1+2 PS11sign.jpg

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Roy Foreman said:

Very nice, great colour and subtlety. Is that a tiny distant galaxy I can see just to the left of the pn ?

Thanks, and yes, a lot of distant galaxies around! (even if they look tiny)

55 minutes ago, glafnazur said:

I really like that Göran, the colours are just great and there are so many galaxies when you zoom in 👍

Thanks a lot!

Cheers Göran

3 hours ago, tomato said:

Yup, the RASA(s), have done a fine job. It is indeed pleasantly surprising how much of a close crop these RASA8/IMX571 OSC will take.

Thanks Steve! Seeing was good that night so maybe put a small pixel CMOS on a RASA on such nights.

That's a great image. Really nice detail.

I spent a night imaging with my RC8 and 115mm triplet (total of 18 hours) and got nowhere near this amount of detail. Admittedly Bortle 6 with pretty poor seeing.

I do need to check though Göran, are you sure you live in Sweden? You get more clear nights than my Spanish and UK rigs put together! I think you have a direct link to Hubble🤣🤣

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

That's a great image. Really nice detail.

I spent a night imaging with my RC8 and 115mm triplet (total of 18 hours) and got nowhere near this amount of detail. Admittedly Bortle 6 with pretty poor seeing.

I do need to check though Göran, are you sure you live in Sweden? You get more clear nights than my Spanish and UK rigs put together! I think you have a direct link to Hubble🤣🤣

Funny that you should say this. Actually, I now doubt everything I heard about the always clear south Spanish skies. The Swedish Amateur Astronomical Society has just, through various donations, managed to put up a 17" Planewave CDK  in Oria, Andalusia at 1000+ m altitude, and I am now one of the users. But so far I have had many more clear night with my scopes here in Sweden. But tonight I am booked in and imaging with the Spanish scope, although it looks like I may only get 4 clear hours there if I am lucky. Maybe it is all about the changing climate. Possibly, we now should start setting up telescope farms in Sweden🤔

Cheers, and CS

Göran