NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Visiting Iceland and Aurora watching

Hello all. I am sure this question has been asked before but I am sure people won't mind imparting their views again so here goes!

I am planning visiting Iceland later this year, beginning of 2025 depending upon what views and/or opinions are on here.

The trip will be an 11 day self drive tour of the Icelandic circle and as you might expect I am hoping to see aurora as well as some of the beauty of this volcanic island.

I am thinking either October 24 or March 25 will offer the best opportunity of reasonable weather for sight seeing and with skies still dark enough to see aurora. 

Any advice gratefully received.

Steve

Edited by bomberbaz
  • Like 2

• bomberbaz changed the title to Visiting Iceland and Aurora watching
3 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Hello all. I am sure this question has been asked before but I am sure people won't mind imparting their views again so here goes!

I am planning visiting Iceland later this year, beginning of 2025 depending upon what views and/or opinions are on here.

The trip will be an 11 day self drive tour of the Icelandic circle and as you might expect I am hoping to see aurora as well as some of the beauty of this volcanic island.

I am thinking either October 24 or March 25 will offer the best opportunity of reasonable weather for sight seeing and with skies still dark enough to see aurora. 

Any advice gratefully received.

Steve

My recommendation would be October, you'll do much better with the weather. If you go in March you will most likely still have a lot of snow and ice in the north. October time can be cold but still with some nice days - although it's possible to still have snow in the north. We did have a day snowed in one time in Akureyri as both passes were closed. It can also be incredibly windy, so do be prepared for some travel disruption.

We've been to Iceland eight times, seven of those in October and have seen the lights every time - you need to keep an eye on the cloud forecast at en.vedur.is and be ready to travel to clear spots. Just about any location will do for lights once you are outside the main population areas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I agree with Shimrod--October should give you aurora views and better weather. You'll have breathtaking views on your ring trip--bring a good pair of binoculars and enjoy.

I've been 4 times and I'm returning in May to visit my son who is at the University of Iceland.

• Like 1

I’m just back from a week in Iceland and unfortunately didn’t see any Aurora. However the Golden Circle is fantastic, as well as a drive along the south coast taking in the glacier and waterfalls as far as Vik. We stayed at Horel Ranga which has an observatory and Aurora wake up calls (and wonderful food and a beautiful hotel!). Although there was lots of snow about, driving was easy as the roads were cleared and we had no problems getting around the parts of the country we visited. There was a nice amount of darkness with truly spectacular sunrises and sunsets. We had plenty of clear skies - we were just unlucky not to see the Aurora. I might have to visit again in October based on the recommendations you have had already!

However, I was also in Finland last year in late March and I absolutely loved it. We stayed at Arctic Skylight Lodge in their glass cabins and I saw unbelievable Aurora. The food and atmosphere there was so beautiful and I definitely recommend Finland which I think is a bit underrated as an Aurora destination. I’ve attached a few photos of the cabin and some iPhone snaps of the Aurora - one taken through the cabin roof. I do think the cabin made a big difference as we could watch the sky for any aurora without going outside and it meant we didn’t miss any of it. IMG_7377_Original.thumb.jpeg.71a5185452d4758644b48cbd25e1ebd9.jpegIMG_7427.thumb.jpeg.648e0441d284b8a749c0523af6a484f7.jpegIMG_7424.thumb.jpeg.10704fef56b4b4021fafacec39b87e25.jpeg

• Like 7

All booked everyone, I am having 11 days so praying for the sunspot gods to be active during those days.  It was a little more expensive than I thought it was going to be but it is unlikely I will be going again.

It is something of a pilgrimage for want of a better word. My late wife and I had planned a visit there but her doctors advised against it so we never went through with it. SO I will be doing this with her photo close to my heart and a hope that she visits me in the form of an aurora. 

Steve

• Like 5

I hope you have a fantastic time Steve and I’m sure your wife will be there with you in spirit. I will be keeping my fingers crossed that you see some aurora.  You will certainly see fabulous scenery and you might end up ‘collecting’ waterfalls - they are all so beautiful! If you can, stop at Bruarfoss waterfall - the water is blue!. Also Sólheimajökulsvegur glacier - well worth the trip down south to see it. IMG_9658.thumb.jpeg.e8cf90733c6be3785cf411d7f2dc5e80.jpegIMG_9724.thumb.jpeg.81042825d4680e775af53a5ebffb2e36.jpeg

IMG_9712.jpeg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

I hope you have a fantastic time Steve and I’m sure your wife will be there with you in spirit. I will be keeping my fingers crossed that you see some aurora.  You will certainly see fabulous scenery and you might end up ‘collecting’ waterfalls - they are all so beautiful! If you can, stop at Bruarfoss waterfall - the water is blue!. Also Sólheimajökulsvegur glacier - well worth the trip down south to see it. 

Thanks for the heads up, I shall look at the map and see which of the days these are best likely to be viewable on and add to my viewing list, I already have 5 waterfalls on my list on things to do, don't think the one you listed is on it (yet)

many thanks

steve

• Like 1

slightly concerned about my trip now given the latest eruptions. I would welcome the opportunity to witness ( at a very safe distance) volcanic activity as seen on tv, just a tad worried regards travelling via air being affected like back a few years since when ash grounded flights to iceland.

Don’t worry Steve, the eruptions happening along the Reykjanes peninsula are of the type that do not produce ash clouds. All air traffic is unaffected and life goes on as normal in Iceland.

When safe to do so the authorities will allow the public close to the eruptions for viewing. This is subject to low gas emissions and predictable lava flows. Early in any event all local roads are closed and residents evacuated from the immediate vicinity (as they are currently). It’s a well practiced and understood system.

Volcanic activity is unpredictable but I believe the experts are saying that the Reykjanes eruptions could go on for up to ten years?

You may already know of these, but check out the following:

www.en.verdur.is 

www.live from Iceland.is

• Thanks 1

I'd love to visit Iceland. My main interest would be photography though.

Oh, and to see an active volcanic fissure. A nice walk to the top of Þorbjörn near Grindavik would be a lovely day out right now. - what a view! Fingers crossed the berms they constructed keep Grindavik safe though.

• Like 1