NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Beautiful Queen Charlotte Telescope

9 hours ago, badhex said:

As the adoptive brother of Burnham you would know that

Would I? First I have a lunatic half-brother nobody knows about, then an over emotional adopted sister. The logic defies me...

• Haha 3

On 10/03/2024 at 12:35, badhex said:

There are so many beautiful vintage scopes still in existence in historical observatories it makes you wonder why they didn't just design one in the same style, but it is impressive nonetheless that they did actually build a real prop (aside from the aforementioned functionality issues). 

They should have asked @timwetherell to design and build it...

image.jpeg.6bc18b58c5cba3652eb224312beae5d9.jpeg image.jpeg.f6ba832e9c26f15d2f246b3511ec541a.jpeg

Images above of his ‘steampunk’ telescope.

https://wetherellart.co.uk/

• Like 6

12 hours ago, JeremyS said:

You worked in a telescope shop??? Sounds like a dream job. 

Yes I did, and I grew to despise the owner as he never cared a bit about people’s needs, he only ever cared about up selling and would make people feel cheap if they couldn’t afford the SCT or dob. We came to a loggerhead and I quit after two years. We had the 16” LX200 on display when it first released and the 7” meade frac right next to it, it made for an impressive showroom display.

• Like 2

On 12/03/2024 at 10:10, RT65CB-SWL said:

They should have asked @timwetherell to design and build it...

Would have been fun! As it happens, I did once build a replacement for a historic telescope, the Oddie refractor that was destroyed in the Canberra bushfires back in 2005. The new one was a 9" f15 and whilst not a copy of the original, very much in that late 19th century style :)

oddie refractor set up in stromlo common room.jpg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, timwetherell said:

Would have been fun! As it happens, I did once build a replacement for a historic telescope, the Oddie refractor that was destroyed in the Canberra bushfires back in 2005. The new one was a 9" f15 and whilst not a copy of the original, very much in that late 19th century style :)

oddie refractor set up in stromlo common room.jpg

Beautiful specimen! As for those rivets, you can say it is literally built like a tank.

• Like 1