NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi everyone

Naykon

Hello all

I'm based in north yorkshire, england, i'm a total novice and had my telescope out for the first time properly lastnight training it just to the top left of the moon.. on Saturn ;)

Heres my telescope specs:

NAME: Celestron 130EQ

OPTICAL DESIGN: Reflector

APERTURE: 130 mm (5.12 in)

FOCAL LENGTH: 650 mm (25.59 in)

FOCAL RATIO: 5

EYEPIECE 1: 20 mm (0.79 in)

MAGNIFICATION 1: 32.5 x

EYEPIECE 2: 10 mm (0.39 in)

MAGNIFICATION 2: 65 x

MOUNT: CG-3 Equatorial

OPTICAL COATINGS: Aluminum

WEIGHT: 24 lb (10.89 kg)

I was surprised at the ease of managing to get saturn in my sights despite not really knowing how to use the equatorial mount yet (just moved it in the rough direction)

Got a clear image through the 10mm eyepiece and manage to track it for quite some time whilst supping a few beers, was a nice experience. Although it was clear it was still pretty small, I was wondering if a 5mm eyepiece would be worth it and if so could anyone recommend one?

I Look forward to learning from all the experience on here! :icon_rolleyes:

Thanks,

Naykon

:icon_rolleyes: Hi and welcome to SGL, Naykon. Kicking up the power may make the image larger but sometimes less is more. There's a maximum usable magnification with any given scope, and pushing the power beyond it merely breaks the image down. I'm on the laptop at the moment and don't have the formula handy, but I'm sure someone will be able to give you the specifics on it.

Archived