Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ASIAir comet imaging

I’m still new to my ASIAir (V1) and want to know how to enter coordinates. I want to image comet 12P but am not sure if it’ll be in the database. Just to try things out, I went into SkySafari, got up the comet and tapped a star near the comet’s head. That brought up co-ords. But how do I translate them to RA and Dec to enter into the ASIAir GoTo feature? I hope I’m not being too dim. I have a learning difficulty and the obvious isn’t always obvious. 😊

IMG_8508.jpeg

• Like 1

You ask a perfectly sensible question.  :) 

There are probably lots of ways of doing this. In safari you can click on the object of interest - star, comet etc - and then select Info. It will give you the position in RA and Dec as part of the information listed on the left hand side. You can also change the the coordinates to equatorial in Settings.  Safari then shows the coordinates of the centre of the screen in RA and Dec as you scan around. 
IMG_1909.thumb.png.b84cef59ed0d343b8dc0d8978d25e718.png

• Like 1

Oh, and you wanted to know how to input coordinates into the ASIair.  I know I can do this but unless software is open in front of me I can’t recall how to do it.  Someone else will have to describe that for you. It’s quite easy. I hope to fire up my telescope  later and if no one else has posted I’ll let you know. 

• Like 1

You don't need to enter coordinates. Use the sky atlas map in ASI to goto the same area. Plate solve to check you are close to the same RA and Dec

If you don't know the RA and Dec, click on the comet in Sky Safari and pull up the info tab, this will give the details. You can enter RA and Dec of target in ASI Air, do a Google search

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Astrosurf said:

That brought up co-ords. But how do I translate them to RA and Dec to enter into the ASIAir GoTo feature?

On my version of SkySafari if you go to the settings screen you can select Horizon (seems to be the default), Equatorial (what you need for the ASIair) or Ecliptic (for people more clever than me!)

IMG_6890.thumb.PNG.af2822e9ec7c51e322ae8b32b17b332d.PNG   IMG_6891.thumb.PNG.6de298909a34470f9e5e55521d86d55d.PNG

If you select Equatorial then the App will give you the RA and Dec settings you need for the ASIair GoTo

HTH

Adrian

Edited by Adreneline
Typo