Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rowan AZ75 or something else?

The central bolt on my SW tripod extension broke recently which set me down the path of looking for something a bit stronger. I use it as. Barlebach Uni 18 with Giro-WR mount. I either use just the Tak FC100DF or sometimes the Tak and Daystar Solar Scout SS60 dual mounted. I’ve been struggling to find a decent looking extension tube that wasn’t overly pricey. It then occurred to me that maybe a mount like the Rowan AZ75 may well remove the next for the extension tube as well. Reading around there seem to be a few other benefits to going for this option. The Tak clamshell can be connected directly to the mount without the vixen style bar etc. It looks like the mount will handle the Tak without the need for a counterweight. I’ve struggled a bit with balancing the Giro-WR. I think this will make the whole setup a lot smoother. 

My Uni 18 is the EQ6 version. I have an adapter plate to convert it to 3/8th. I was thinking that the M10 version of the AZ75 would be my best option as I think that will work both with and without the adapter plate?

Just throwing my thinking out to the experts to see if the AZ75 will perform as expected or if there’s other options I haven’t thought of. I’d keep the Giro-WR as a travel mount. 

I think that  your thought process is spot on Neil .   Berlebach tripod, AZ75 and FC100 is a perfect combination.  I have the AZ100 carrying two scopes and I will not chuck out any more superlatives about it.  The AZ75 will have the same superb quality of build, so I would not think twice, in fact, as soon as I can afford it I will be getting an AZ75 for my Planet tripod.

Go for it and never think about mounting your FC again....:smiley:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Saganite said:

I think that  your thought process is spot on Neil .   Berlebach tripod, AZ75 and FC100 is a perfect combination.  I have the AZ100 carrying two scopes and I will not chuck out any more superlatives about it.  The AZ75 will have the same superb quality of build, so I would not think twice, in fact, as soon as I can afford it I will be getting an AZ75 for my Planet tripod.

Go for it and never think about mounting your FC again....:smiley:

Thanks Steve! Exactly what I was hoping to hear :) 

I agree, the AZ75 engineering is in a different league to the Giro-WR, but to be fair, so is the price!

I’ve found the 75 to be hugely capable, and just like the 100 it does not need counterweights to stay smooth; the only reason to add a counterweight is to ensure the stability of the whole rig if you feel that is necessary. I’m thinking of switching my FC100 to the AZ75/Uni-28 and putting the FS-128 on the AZ-100/Planet. Currently I have the 150mm PST mod on the 100 simply as somewhere to keep it, but Mrs Stu is not overly happy about it being around so it may have to live upstairs.

Back to the point, the other thing that surprised me about the AZ75 was just how compact and lightweight it is compared with the 100, but with the same superb engineering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Go for the AZ75! They are superb, mine happily carries a 98cm, 5.5kg 5” apo without need for counterweight. The Tak cradle connection is solid as a rock too and dual mounting a 4” & 3” scope is a doddle.

It’s currently sat on an adaptor puck and SW steel tripod with no issues with zenith viewing so no additional pier requirement.

I plan to upgrade to a BB UNI18/28 eventually. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I agree, the AZ75 engineering is in a different league to the Giro-WR, but to be fair, so is the price!

I’ve found the 75 to be hugely capable, and just like the 100 it does not need counterweights to stay smooth; the only reason to add a counterweight is to ensure the stability of the whole rig if you feel that is necessary. I’m thinking of switching my FC100 to the AZ75/Uni-28 and putting the FS-128 on the AZ-100/Planet. Currently I have the 150mm PST mod on the 100 simply as somewhere to keep it, but Mrs Stu is not overly happy about it being around so it may have to live upstairs.

Back to the point, the other thing that surprised me about the AZ75 was just how compact and lightweight it is compared with the 100, but with the same superb engineering.

Yep, definitely can fault the Giro-WR for the price and will still be great as a travel mount. Though maybe the AZ75 will work for that purpose too? 

I understand the pain of keeping Mrs Stu happy. I’m often told that my scopes are an eyesore. Not everyone appreciates the beauty of good engineering I guess 😂

1 hour ago, IB20 said:

Go for the AZ75! They are superb, mine happily carries a 98cm, 5.5kg 5” apo without need for counterweight. The Tak cradle connection is solid as a rock too and dual mounting a 4” & 3” scope is a doddle.

It’s currently sat on an adaptor puck and SW steel tripod with no issues with zenith viewing so no additional pier requirement.

I plan to upgrade to a BB UNI18/28 eventually. 

Awesome. Great to know it’ll handle a bigger scope comfortably too as a bit of future proofing! I got the Uni 18 and it’s such a massive step up from the carbon fibre tripod I had previously. 

4 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Though maybe the AZ75 will work for that purpose too? 

If you’ve got the ability to take a bit more weight then yes it would. A lot depends on the tripod too though, as you know.

• Thanks 1

@Littleguy80 I cannot comment on the Rowan range of alt-az mounts, but have you considered AOK-AYO. I have an AOK-AYO and a Tele-Optic Giro. The AOK-AYO is very smooth in use. The only downside is that both do not have slow-motion controls. That said, some of the larger AOK-AYO mounts do have the option to add the Argo Navis computer/controller.

IMG_0580.thumb.JPG.fc6f227bf7e974dd59c6c96ea3f25fe2.JPG

Edited by RT65CB-SWL
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, RT65CB-SWL said:

@Littleguy80 I cannot comment on the Rowan range of alt-az mounts, but have you considered AOK-AYO. I have an AOK-AYO and a Tele-Optic Giro. The AOK-AYO is very smooth in use. The only downside is that both do not have slow-motion controls. That said, some of the larger AOK-AYO mounts do have the option to add the Argo Navis computer/controller.

IMG_0580.thumb.JPG.fc6f227bf7e974dd59c6c96ea3f25fe2.JPG

Interesting. I’ll have look into those. Thank you!

• Thanks 1

Check with Rowan, the AZ75 can be fitted OR  retro fitted with encoders. This potentially makes a great push to mount which is my prefered set up with an FC 100 DF (see below on UNI 28).  In particular the horizontal stop, AZ clamp and finely adjustable clutches make it a joy to use especilly when changing eyepiece or swapping in a bino viewer.

For portable use the direct connection of clamshell is good and you should not need to carry a  counterweight or tripod extension. There are  some well made optional parts (if you want) and  build quality is as good as the service and support. So the value is in long term ownership and flexiility IMHO.

20230417_163818.jpg

Edited by Stephenstargazer
Added photo
  • Thanks 2