Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Beginner needs help photographing dso

Hi, I started with DSO astrophotography roughly 5 sessions ago, (so not long🤣).

In that time, I've managed to to capture my first shot ok of Orion and processed it in DSS and PS. But now I've been trying to integrate NINA into the mix, (this is where trouble starts) my sony A7iii no longer saves the RAW files and now saves them as a grey TIFF, I then transport this into DSS and click debayer RGGB and the result is a image that is extremely hard to stretch any real colour out of. 

I can upload the files. 

Attached pic is my first of Orion Enhanced-164.thumb.jpg.64ba2731a0a92ad3070bb60376c709e6.jpg

Correction (NINA saves as a FIT)

uploaded the autosave from DSS as the saved file is too large to post here

Edited by Conanp

What was the total imaging time?

Also even though the colours look appropriate in your screenshot above check for your sensor debayer pattern, my a7s is RGBG.

An unmodified camera will struggle to pick up emission due to the in built filters, you can mitigate this a little bit by imaging for a lot longer or using a narrowband OSC filter to separate emission from background sky.

3 hours ago, Conanp said:

hard to stretch any real colour out of

Hi

Nice shot.
I removed the gradient and gave it a crude stretch. There is colour:)
As you can see, I'm hopeless at balancing it but I'm sure one of the processing gurus will be along soon.

Cheers and HTH

p3.thumb.png.837ddf681e73f76a2d1ffb83d67b1c81.png

The internet tells me the A7iii raw files weigh in at about 47.3 meg. How did this get to be 800?

52 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi

Nice shot.
I removed the gradient and gave it a crude stretch. There is colour:)
As you can see, I'm hopeless at balancing it but I'm sure one of the processing gurus will be along soon.

Cheers and HTH

p3.thumb.png.837ddf681e73f76a2d1ffb83d67b1c81.png

I wouldn't be too sure that there is real colour there. It looks pretty monochromatic, though not greyscale. I don't think differentiated colour will appear just through balancing but can't be sure.

Olly

This has had the background cleaned up, stretched and SNCR green removal. BlurX to clean up the elongated stars a bit and then resized because it was insanely big 🙂

Autosave006a.thumb.jpg.7b0883fbfdab13e4abd3104f68d5ced5.jpg

Autosave006a.tif

Some colour in there, looking at the stars. With some more delicate work, I think the nebulosity might show more distinct colour too

• Like 1

Was auto white balance switched on as that's a guaranteed way to mess up your colours, though curve adjustment should be able to bring them back.

Edited by Elp

Thank you everyone for your input, to the ones asking how it got so big. It's a stacked set of images, so I'm guessing that's how. It was also dithered and drizzled. 

I will be sure to check whitebalance next time I shoot (tonight) 

I'm kinda glad I'm not the only one who struggled to pull colour out of this. Made me think I was going crazy 🤪

On 13/02/2024 at 08:14, happy-kat said:

I think it was the drizzling, you might want to delete the file from your post as in time the post will lose edit and that is a lot of your space allocation eaten

Thanks for letting me know this, I will try turn drizzle off and try again