Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi .

I'm new to this forum but I have been starting gazing for many years.

I have come across a Cherry reflector for sale,but can not find any reviews or you tube videos about the brand.

I would be grateful if anyone can shed some light on the Cherry telescope and if it is worth purchasing.

Cheers.

Screenshot_20240209-174526.png

Rebranding being what it is, this could be almost anything. It isn't a good start when this maker or rebrander uses inches for the aperture and mm for the focal length. Do you have a picture of the instrument itself?

Good, modern astronomical telescopes have never been cheaper or better value than they are today. That's where I'd be looking, personally.

Olly

Carastro.

Definitely,the mount looks awkward.

Not sure it's worth a punt at £60.

I have a bit of a weakness when it comes to old refractors and reflectors.

If I can knock it down to £40 I might be more tempted.

Cheers.

The optics are roughly F8 and are usually quite good if well collimated and using decent eyepieces rather than those supplied.  The mounts are what you get at the price point.  Worth a punt at £40 - £60.    🙂 

It looks identical to the old Tasco 11T "Lunagrosso" newtonian. If you can get it for a really low price it might be fun to use to look at the moon and a few of the more obvious sights. Set your exprectations accordingly - that mount will be wobbly and the eyepieces are likely to be the old .965 inch ones !

Edited by John
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cc65 said:

Carastro.

Definitely,the mount looks awkward.

Not sure it's worth a punt at £60.

I have a bit of a weakness when it comes to old refractors and reflectors.

If I can knock it down to £40 I might be more tempted.

Cheers.

If it is only £60 it is worth a punt. 
All l can say is i started with a similar scope and mount and whilst l got good views, finding things and keeping targets in the FOV was tricky.  

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

Check the mirror by shining a torch on the rear of the tube and look into the open end and if you see the torchlight shining through then the aluminium coating has deteriorated. This will provide poor views if this is the case. Always good to check the mirror when buying old reflectors unless you plan on realuminising the mirror.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies.

Going to take a look at the scope tomorrow.I will take a good look at the mirror, thanks bosun21,and take it from there.

Cheers.