NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pacman Nebula deep and dusty

gorann

I usually try to aim for something rarely imaged but the moon is out so I aimed at something very bright, but at the same time it then have to be something very common and popular. It became the Pacman Nebula. I had to use the NBZ filter to suppress the Moon's influence. What struck me when I started processing the image was how much dust there was around. I did not expect that from other images I have seen of it. In all the dust the small reflection nebula LBN 1299 down in the right corner stood out a bit. Not many dusty images like this seem to exist of this area, so the dust-sucking RASA did it again.

Dual RASA8 rig with ASI 2600MC and IDAS NBZ filters (so mainly Ha and Oiii). 72 x 5 min so 6 hours processed in PI and PS with the new XT tools of course.

Comments most appreciated as always.

Cheers, Göran

20240115 Pacman RASA1+2 PS15smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 11

Very nice! It's amazing the difference the RASA makes to commonly imaged targets. I had to look twice to make sure it was the Pac-Man nebula. I'll get one eventually - when I have sold the kids😁

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Clarkey said:

Very nice! It's amazing the difference the RASA makes to commonly imaged targets. I had to look twice to make sure it was the Pac-Man nebula. I'll get one eventually - when I have sold the kids😁

Thanks Clarkey! Yes, it was a bit odd to see that for every stretch there was more and more dust and less and less Pacman the way we know it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Thanks Clarkey! Yes, it was a bit odd to see that for every stretch there was more and more dust and less and less Pacman the way we know it.

This unfamiliarity is the charm, though I wonder if it's to everyone's taste.  I once had a guest who was not too pleased with the Heart Nebula he captured here with the dual Tak106.  It had way more outlying signal than he was expecting or was used to and I think he wanted a more familiar view.  My feeling is the reverse: I love to find what I haven't seen before.

Olly

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

This unfamiliarity is the charm, though I wonder if it's to everyone's taste.  I once had a guest who was not too pleased with the Heart Nebula he captured here with the dual Tak106.  It had way more outlying signal than he was expecting or was used to and I think he wanted a more familiar view.  My feeling is the reverse: I love to find what I haven't seen before.

Olly

Fully agree! Data that does not include at least one surprise is not for me.

23 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

Very Nice Goran...   there's Ha everywhere round here  as you can see below..   I didn't get enough data to pull out the dust cleanly..   clearly one to return to

Dave

Thanks Dave, and indeed there is clearly much more dust around than we previously saw. I had my Samyang 135 piggybacking when I shot the Pacman. I will have a look at what it found, but it is not as effective in collecting dust as the RASA (aperture rules).

I suspect there is either dust or IFN just about everywhere, it’s only comparatively recently that imagers have had the kit/software/inclination to record it.

If you don’t want it, image under frequently cloudy, light polluted skies, the UK is a great location for this.😉