NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lower's Nebula SH2-261 in Orion's raised right arm

Following on from @ollypenrice's post last Saturday the clear cold skies experienced this week allowed me to take a look at Lower's Nebula in Orion's right arm.  In total I collected 14 hrs of colour through  GT71ASI2600, 12 hours of Ha and 20 minutes each RGB through Esprit150QHY600m and 9hours Oiii and 6 hours Sii through Esprit100ASI294mm  all mounted on the trusty Mesu.   Processed in Pixinsight and Photoshop with full use made of Russ Croman's tools.  Prior to imaging I had expected (as Olly also did) that the Oiii signal would be strong, however this did not turn out to be the case with the Sii signal being significantly stronger and more extensive.  I've made two images form the data..  a fairly wide field one using the GT71ASi2600 data with the hi res Ha added and a high res close up in the Foraxx palette.  I've also included stretched Ha, Oiii and Sii .

Thanks for looking

Dave

SH2-261_Ha_Oii_RGB_GT71ASI2600_Final_20Jan24_crop.thumb.jpg.83009abab5cafaf30d33598c7c66757e.jpg

SH2-261_HaLum_Foraxx_RGBStars_Final_20Jan24_crop.thumb.jpg.2b562d30a9e6351c313da579948f85fa.jpg

Ha                                                                                                   Oiii                                                                                             Sii

SH2_261_Ha_Oiii_Sii_25pc.thumb.jpg.146a01e24db8d46b773b7607109cbe0d.jpg

• Like 24

1 hour ago, Laurin Dave said:

a fairly wide field one using the GT71ASi2600 data with the hi res Ha added and a high res close up in the Foraxx palette.  I've also included stretched Ha, Oiii and Sii .

Both superb Dave.  The first with the dust gives that image (especially around Sh2-261) a real sense of extra depth, the second has some lovely details and colour throughout.

14 hours ago, geeklee said:

Both superb Dave.  The first with the dust gives that image (especially around Sh2-261) a real sense of extra depth, the second has some lovely details and colour throughout.

Thank you Lee

13 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Lovely job, Dave. Nicely balanced processing which makes me think mine was shouting a bit!

:grin:lly

Thanks Olly

• Like 1

On 20/01/2024 at 19:17, Stuart1971 said:

Stunning 👏🏻👏🏻 

is my maths correct, over 41 hours of integration time…😮😮

Thank you  Stuart ... yes it is ..  having 3 scopes on the mount helps :) (and that's not counting the Askar200 and ST80 guidescope)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seti Astro said:

Really great image!  I recently imaged it too and found OIII much weaker than SII as well.  Were you as intrigued as what caused the OIII bubble structures in the core as I was too??  (I was calling it the Eye of Ra nebula https://astrob.in/wyeje6/0/)

I'm surprised more people aren't imaging this target!

Thank you.... yes the Oiii bubble is interesting.. a shame that it is so faint

Dave