NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Starlink train

Beardy30

Anyone else watch the starkink train of satellites going across the moon at about 18.05pm tonight? Approx 19 of them counted ,  I saw it from here in Preston, Lancashire, fantastic to watch 

On 18/01/2024 at 20:00, Beardy30 said:

Anyone else watch the starkink train of satellites going across the moon at about 18.05pm tonight? Approx 19 of them counted ,  I saw it from here in Preston, Lancashire, fantastic to watch 

Noticed these when walking back from town last Thursday. 

IMG_20240122_054554_(1174_x_1600_pixel).thumb.jpg.30afae8b7105a9b3187f5076dc031535.jpg

IMG_20240122_053342_(1650_x_2200_pixel).jpg

IMG_20240122_053310_(1498_x_2000_pixel).jpg

Edited by scotty1
  • Like 4

Sorry, not so fantastic - a real nuisance to professional and serious amateur observing and a visual  pollutant that contaminates the beauty of the natural night sky.  And all about markets and profit, of course.  Discussions are ongoing about controls on this sort of thing but unfortunately while there’s plenty of talk, effective action and legislation is a long way off.  Meanwhile the megaconstellations continue to be launched and, unless something is done about it, more will follow.

• Like 2

I agree with @JTEC we certainly don't want to see them.  Though I guess they are trying to provide a service that people have decided that they might like as well as making someone richer.  Whilst I guess that physical obstacles in the sky might always upset some observations these starlink satellites are very visible, presumably it is the reflections from their solar panels that is being seen?  I get the impression that satellites are not within view for many minutes,  It does make me wonder that with some forethought couldn't their panels be dimmed/turned away from earth automatically when it could be computed that they would be visible.  Such an adaptation on newer satellites, might make them less obtrusive and promote less public outcry allowing the companies their profits and the night sky it's uninterrupted darkness.  Just a thought.

Edited by JOC

From discussions I was involved in a while ago - things may have moved on somewhat - the satellites would be visually around 7 mag when in orbit, which, telescopically speaking, is very bright indeed.  Think of the impact on the work of professional instruments like the Vera Rubin wide-field telescope. Musk promised to ensure there would  be no impact on astronomy.  Needless to say, this promise has not been kept. Some attempts were made to darken the satellites visually but this resulted in them being brighter in the infra-red, which was a big concern for the professional astronomers working in that field.  I think orientation was also considered, but presumably that needs to be determined primarily by functional considerations and even if it did offer a solution, there is still the issue of ‘glint’.  Bottom line, I think, in the absence of sufficient controls, it’s pretty much a free for all with big money doing the talking. 

Edited by JTEC

I think this particular set of satellites may of been more visible , as they may have been recently deployed and still relatively in low orbit?

I agree that light pollution is already degrading astronomy/astrophotography. 

Adding another layer of pollution with satellites is frustrating for anyone who cares about night skies.

Edited by scotty1
  • Like 1