NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from SYorks.

sheffieldsunwatcher

Hello,

As someone who has been mining very helpful information from all sorts of threads in the site over the last couple of months, it feels like the time to post an introduction...I lurked on the forum for a stretch of time in the past - about 13 or so years ago - when I did some nighttime astronomy using an 8" Skywatcher Dobsonian; a light-polluted Sheffield suburb isn't really the best site for visual observing, although I spent plenty of happy and often cold nights viewing the skies. I'd always wanted to view the sun in H-alpha and so took the plunge recently by buying a used (single-stacked) tilt tuned Lunt LS60. There haven't been all that many chances to use it in recent weeks - although things are looking up over the next few days - but I got some observing in today, which was fantastic despite the relatively sketchy seeing. The forum has been very helpful so far, so thanks to so many people for sharing their wisdom!

:)        

• Like 1

Just now, sheffieldsunwatcher said:

Ey up Mr Spock - I'm just over the way from you, by the look of it, on the Crookes side of the Rivelin valley :)

Ah, a southerner 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome! A lunt 60 is a great H-alpha scope, just like night observing, seeing plays a big role in what you will be able ro resolve. Be patient with the tilt tuner, my first Lunt was tilt tuned and I struggled with understanding how to use the tilt. It seemed the slightest adjustment to the wheel can throw it off band.

• Like 1

Just now, Sunshine said:

Welcome! A lunt 60 is a great H-alpha scope, just like night observing, seeing plays a big role in what you will be able ro resolve. Be patient with the tilt tuner, my first Lunt was tilt tuned and I struggled with understanding how to use the tilt. It seemed the slightest adjustment to the wheel can throw it off band.

Yes, I'm very much still learning how to use the scope, which is clearly a very refined piece of kit. The point about the seeing was made very clear today, when there were moments when things suddenly snapped into better focus - I'd forgotten about that aspect of observing!   

• Like 1

• 3 months later...