Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

light pollution petition

adamsp123

Not to Rubbish on anyone's parade but seriously, do you really think the government will shut down some lights to reduce light pollution? That costs the companies a lot of money which will affect the economy in a way. It's just not going to happen, i am sorry.

Not to Rubbish on anyone's parade but seriously, do you really think the government will shut down some lights to reduce light pollution? That costs the companies a lot of money which will affect the economy in a way. It's just not going to happen, i am sorry.

The idea is to turn off unnessery light's etc :icon_rolleyes:

I've signed already, although it's totally pointless for as where i live in London they are more concerned with building tower blocks of flats until they've blocked out the sun.

Thanks, I hadn't seen it - I've signed now.

Where I live they've been installing new street lights that apparently have the approval of Campaign For Dark Skies. Trouble is they're planting far more of them than were there before, and they burn a lot brighter. Result is empty streets bright enough at 3a.m. to read a book in, and a huge increase in skyglow. Only way to tackle this problem is to cut the ridiculous energy waste.

I've signed.. but it seriously needs more or it could have an adverse effect. At the time of me writing this, there's only 757 signatories. Out of 60 Million people, this just says to the government that only 0.00000001 % of the population give a damn :-S

Matt

Petition or not, local authorities are slowly waking up to the idea that they can save significant money on their energy bill, by installing more efficient lighting.

Of course, they have little or no interest in light pollution, but saving money out of their forever 'squeezed' budgets, is another story. Especially if they can then squander it on, odd ball schemes, like paying someone silly money to create and erect a pile of junk, and then calling it art :icon_rolleyes:.

Seriously though, we are beggining to benefit from the 'green approach' to street lighting.

The main A12 arterial trunk road, is just a mile from my obsy, and yet since the lighting was changed to the full 'cut-off' type, I see no light pollution at all from it.

If you travel along this stretch of road at night, when there is some moisture in the air, you can clearly see the umbrella shaped cone of light radiating downwards, with zero going skywards.

So, doat1, while you may not be seeing this intelligent approach in the US, its certainly happening here. Albeit not fast enough ;).

Dave

Yes I must admit, the green bandwagon is becoming a god send :-P. I heard they have trialled 2 late night 'turn off' sections on the M5 (One being between Junctions 30-31 in Exeter). Lets hope they are successful.

Matt

I think politically the only way to get an improvement is to play up the cost saving/lower CO2 aspects, the "light pollution" is a non-problem to most people including politicians in the main but we must keep trying IMO.

Signed up. Interestingly, my local council in Glos, have decided to refit a lot of lights with timers ! Gadzooks - as a result, the skies are now getting blacker beyond 2am.

They are doing this to save energy and I think that's a good thing and one we can all encourage by writing to your parish councils

Signed up. Interestingly, my local council in Glos, have decided to refit a lot of lights with timers ! Gadzooks - as a result, the skies are now getting blacker beyond 2am.

They are doing this to save energy and I think that's a good thing and one we can all encourage by writing to your parish councils

Shame that it is not alot earlier.

Many of the lights go out in Welshpool at 1am during summer time, but I have noticed that although I am very close to the town centre after 10 pm the place is virtually dead, cars and pedestrians, except those out for a drink.

Archived