Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Neat solution for placing bits n bobs?

GasGiant

Hey folks

What do you recon to this ? 

This a MK1 idea theory tester I had for a simple 'table top' storage space for the usual bits and bobs when observing.  Im new to astronomy but I figured most people use a load of different bits and bobs when observing and having them 'just there' has gotta be super handy & better than dragging out a table or having stuff in pockets ? 

Looking at the images its pretty self ex-planetary  ( see what I did there ? ) There is no screwing together It all locks in together.  I made it flat pack so its easy to put up, take down and store.

The scope can 'Dobviously' swing right up to the vertical and near horizontal position. The friction knobs can still be used.

Dob users, what do you recon 🙂 

I made this in my small workshop as a proto but if there is potential interest I may make a MK2, a bit prettier and with thicker wood etc. 

Carl 

20240104_092341.jpg

20240104_092356.jpg

20240104_092407.jpg

20240104_092420.jpg

20240104_092437.jpg

20240104_092502.jpg

Edited by GasGiant
  • Like 10

I really like that, why don't you drill 1.25" and 2" holes in the board, in the manner of the eypiece holder on the side of the rockerbox? I would try build myself something similar, but I dont think it would work with the alt bearing design of Bresser / ES Dobs.

Edited by Astronomist
  • Like 1

If possible, it is best to keep optical accessories such eyepieces, filters and barlow lenses slightly warmer than the outside temperature. If they get too cold they have the tendency to fog as you use them from the warmth of your face and eye socket. 

For non-optical accessories your flat shelf could be useful.

To avoid the cold/fogging issue you could make Mk 2 as a box with your eps in holes in a plate inside, and pop in a hand warmer sachet on the colder nights.  I think your basic idea is sound, but like most things, it can be improved, it's just a case of deciding if the effort/cost is worth it.

Here's one of my gadgets.

D5H_09671024.jpg.25fe8fd7fa0f34cb0ad3502a53a995cd.jpg

This was taken before I finished it off. But you get the idea. And here it is in action:

D5H_09782048.thumb.jpg.d95cece8d216ff68b9f1249ebc4d527d.jpg

Just remember to keep caps on eyepieces or they'll fog over.

• Like 2

It does look neat and well made. But for me I store my Dob with the mirror (still on its base) pointing slightly down, primary mirror up. I do this in an attempt to minimise the accumulations of dust and other detritus. Eg I’ve had dead fruit flies - tiny, probably doesn’t do any harm to the views, but very annoying. And the most annoying of all, spider poop - little white to dark brown dots. This was on a secondhand telescope that had obviously been stored in a shed or similar. It sticks like glue and was a pain to get off the mirror. Potentially could also damage the coatings. 

And as mentioned above I sometimes find that if my eyepieces etc aren’t kept slightly above outside temperature they can fog over even if caps are on. I have a fleeced lined hoodie with a big straight-through pocket/pouch. Keeping eyepieces in there prevents any fogging. Maybe not ideal but it works.

Although I use a red light head-torch I like to keep it off as much as possible. And placing black objects on a black surface makes them harder to see. 

• Like 1