Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar Eclipse 2027

petevasey

Hi, folks,

I first posted this on 'The Lounge' as part of a query on travel insurance.  But it might be of particular interest to Solar observers and imagers, so here are a couple of pictures. 

The first one shows the eclipse path over the Luxor area with totality times - as long as it ever gets!   As you can see the Sun is almost overhead, so given a clear sky, minimal atmospheric interference.  Second one, using a screen shot from Skymap Pro - imagine capturing Venus and the Beehive Cluster in the same image as totality!!!  Venus will be mag -3.9, the bright star right of the Sun is mag 3.9 delta Cancri. The eclipse overlay uses at scale my image from America 2017 which as it happens appears in the January 2024 Astronomy Now.  I also picked up several stars down to mag 8, shown in this image on my web site.  So a very good chance of showing a recognisable Beehive with Venus on top of it!  Well, of course I might not make it, but hopefully this might inspire someone on the forum to make plans.  Yes, I know it's over 3 years away, but I bet there'll be a lot of interest generally and organised tours will soon fill up.   I don't speak Egyptian and at my age I'll be much happier as part of an organised tour group.  Luxor being a well known tourist spot for the Valley of the Kings etc., hopefully there will be tours based there..

Cheers,  Peter

Egypt Eclipse 2027.jpg

Egypt Eclipse 2027mockup.jpg

• Like 5

Yep, Luxor probably will be crowded!  But I've never been to Egypt and travelogues are never as good as the real thing!  I 've now attended five Solar Eclipses, only one of which was unfortunately pretty cloudy.  But all were part of a very interesting holiday.  The weather is never certain, so I always want the trip to be interesting, even if the main event is disappointing.  But I would expect Egypt in August to be uncomfortably hot and sticky.  So maybe despite the allure of a 6 1/2 minute totality I'll be content with what I have!  Or possibly consider Gibraltar area - cooler and still 4 1/2 minutes totality with the bonus of Venus and the Beehive.   But much lower in the sky (38 degrees altitude).  Hmmm.

Cheers,

Peter.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2024 at 5:55 PM, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I am considering going to Sfax, Tunisia

I'm spoiled for choice, living in Sardinia I was thinking about the August 2026 eclipse in Spain or the August 2027 eclipse in Tunisia, both are quite close. Certainly for the language Spain is better for me as Spanish can be understood by those who speak Italian and Sardinian, for the duration of the whole Tunisia is better.

21 hours ago, Gonariu said:

I'm spoiled for choice, living in Sardinia I was thinking about the August 2026 eclipse in Spain or the August 2027 eclipse in Tunisia, both are quite close. Certainly for the language Spain is better for me as Spanish can be understood by those who speak Italian and Sardinian, for the duration of the whole Tunisia is better.

I have friends in Leon, Spain, and they would love to have me over for the 2026 eclipse