Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter

Manoah

Even though I have started doing planetary imaging I am still of the opinion that nothing beats the view through an eyepiece in good seeing. I find that the GRS and EQ bands are pretty easy to distinguish over a range of magnifications. Whether being able to see the GRS itself involves a bit of luck regarding the timing of your observation and the planets rotation. Oh and let's not forget about coinciding with a clear sky. When the above factors do come together the views can be breathtaking ( to me anyway).

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Even though I have started doing planetary imaging I am still of the opinion that nothing beats the view through an eyepiece in good seeing. I find that the GRS and EQ bands are pretty easy to distinguish over a range of magnifications. Whether being able to see the GRS itself involves a bit of luck regarding the timing of your observation and the planets rotation. Oh and let's not forget about coinciding with a clear sky. When the above factors do come together the views can be breathtaking ( to me anyway).

I agree. 

I have had many memorable views of Jupiter over the years but through my 6" refractor and binoviewer on August 7th 2022 just before dawn, I saw an image I shall never forget.  The seeing was perfect and allowed a high power and I simply could not take in all the detail.

• Like 5

Although Saturn is very beautiful, I find Jupiter a much more interesting target in terms of being able to see features changing from session to session and also as you actually observe. You never know quite what the giant planet will present to you 🙂

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

This is amazing. I have a new 12” dob and haven’t seen anything like this level of detail through it. I’ve only had it out three times and I’m pretty sure it’s cooled (2 hours outdoors before use) and collimated. Maybe it was just that the seeing wasn’t great. I will have to keep trying!

Thanks! I’ve spent hours on Jupiter and generally the seeing has been poor for some time now. There’s been plenty of people mentioning this in the imaging section. On occasion it’s been frustrating with moments of good seeing, sometimes a few seconds to a few minutes of good seeing and then back to being fuzzy. But I have to say that on this night - 12th December - it was the best I’ve had since early Autumn. I’m surprised no one else mentioned it but I was probably lucky in my location, Southampton, with a clear cloudless sky. 

My advice, as you also say, is keep trying. You’ll eventually get a good night!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Imaging will always show more detail than visual per aperture. However, with decent kit you can get some remarkable views.

Here's some simulated views through my scopes in good seeing conditions at opposition. Meant to be viewed on a computer screen (not a phone!) at normal distance. GRS is darker than you would see but I couldn't get that quite right!

Jupiter.jpg.9359314421f599511bb014ff7ac0de1b.jpg

Recently with seeing as it's been I've mostly been using the 4" and at x148 and x185. I haven't really exploited the 12" to its maximum capabilities yet, but there's still time this season.

Imaging does. Although this is just a smartphone stuck to the eyepiece. Looking at the phone screen live on the night it’s basically what I saw. And visually, at the eyepiece, I could see more. It’s also at a magnification - x375 - that’s really far too much for the telescope and seeing. 

I often have the phone stuck to an eyepiece at the beginning of a session on Jupiter and the like. It’s useful when observing with my daughter as we can then pop the eyepiece + phone into the focuser, run a live video, and point out the features that we can see. Makes it obvious what you are looking at and trying to describe without having to go back and forth. Then, remove eyepiece + phone and go back to visual. There’s nothing like seeing these things direct with your own eyes.

Incidentally, it’s obvious that my 12 yr old daughter’s eyes are better than mine. Eg I’ve had quite a number of moments where she’s said that see can see something and I’ve gone ‘really?l… let me have a look at that…’. 

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

Thanks! I’ve spent hours on Jupiter and generally the seeing has been poor for some time now. There’s been plenty of people mentioning this in the imaging section. On occasion it’s been frustrating with moments of good seeing, sometimes a few seconds to a few minutes of good seeing and then back to being fuzzy. But I have to say that on this night - 12th December - it was the best I’ve had since early Autumn. I’m surprised no one else mentioned it but I was probably lucky in my location, Southampton, with a clear cloudless sky. 

My advice, as you also say, is keep trying. You’ll eventually get a good night!

Thank you - that’s reassuring and I will definitely keep at it! I was a little disappointed that my 4” Tak has given more pleasing views than the dob on the one night I got them out together. Even at the time, I thought it was because the seeing wasn’t good enough for the dob. It is so great to see your video though and I am looking forward to some good nights with the dob - I’ve wanted one for years. I really appreciate you posting the video - and thank you also to the OP for the great thread!

• Like 3