Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter Wednesday 11th Reprocessing

IDM

Following on from my previous posting of a rather over over aggressively processed image of Jupiter I have gone back to the drawing board and re-processed the data. I did this because I was convinced that the seeing had been good on the night and that therefore there was a reasonable picture if only it could be processed appropriately.

I have had a lengthy discussion with @Kon on the best ways to process videos and what became very clear to me was that correct processing can be quite an involved process and I learnt a lot from Kostas and am hoping the conditions improve again soon so I can put my newly learnt knowledge into action.

To recap the image below consists of 9 1 minute videos with the best 20% of frame stacked in Autostakkert. The resulting stacked image was wavelet sharpened in Registax, along with RGB align and balancing. The resulting 9 images were then put through Winjupos to create a single image. This image had additional wavelt sharpening and saturation boost using Astrosurface. The resulting image was then opened in Image Analyzer where gentle colour denoisising was done. The result was then reloaded into Astrosurface for sharpening and increasing the brightness. Getting the right level of sharpening was quite difficult and I share multiple attempts with Kostas for his feedback. I was finally left with 2 images one a little soft and one a little over sharp. I loaded both into Gimp as layers and adjusted the opacity of the iage that was too-sharp until the balance was about right and this is what I have show.

I have to thank offer my sincere thanks to Kostas for his patience and skill in helping me to understand the processes required to reveal the best picture from my capture data.

Ian

2023-12-11-2014_first astro derv2.11 mix.png

Edited by IDM
Typos
  • Like 7

That's a great image Ian. I am glad I could be of help. I think the colour balance is excellent, especially the blues.  Under excellent seeing you will be pulling some amazing details.

I am looking forward to more of your images if we ever get a break from this weather.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, IDM said:

Following on from my previous posting of a rather over over aggressively processed image of Jupiter I have gone back to the drawing board and re-processed the data. I did this because I was convinced that the seeing had been good on the night and that therefore there was a reasonable picture if only it could be processed appropriately.

I have had a lengthy discussion with @Kon on the best ways to process videos and what became very clear to me was that correct processing can be quite an involved process and I learnt a lot from Kostas and am hoping the conditions improve again soon so I can put my newly learnt knowledge into action.

To recap the image below consists of 9 1 minute videos with the best 20% of frame stacked in Autostakkert. The resulting stacked image was wavelet sharpened in Registax, along with RGB align and balancing. The resulting 9 images were then put through Winjupos to create a single image. This image had additional wavelt sharpening and saturation boost using Astrosurface. The resulting image was then opened in Image Analyzer where gentle colour denoisising was done. The result was then reloaded into Astrosurface for sharpening and increasing the brightness. Getting the right level of sharpening was quite difficult and I share multiple attempts with Kostas for his feedback. I was finally left with 2 images one a little soft and one a little over sharp. I loaded both into Gimp as layers and adjusted the opacity of the iage that was too-sharp until the balance was about right and this is what I have show.

I have to thank offer my sincere thanks to Kostas for his patience and skill in helping me to understand the processes required to reveal the best picture from my capture data.

Ian

2023-12-11-2014_first astro derv2.11 mix.png

That's excellent Ian. Kostas is an excellent person to critique images, I also get a lot of good advice from him.

Edited by geoflewis
  • Thanks 1