Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

6 mm eyepieces, very few options

Voxish

4 hours ago, Voxish said:

I must research before I post, I must research before I post, I must research before I post, I must research before I post…..

On the other hand, if you want a Radian, you want a Radian 🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John said:

n the other hand, if you want a Radian, you want a Radian 🙂

I often wondered how does it compare against Delite?

Delite does not come as 6mm, but in general use, why would one want Radian over a Delite?

10 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

....in general use, why would one want Radian over a Delite?

I believe the Delites are better performers overall but, if the eyepiece case is already full of Radians .......

Edited by John

I compared a 10mm Radian to a 10mm NLV once - the NLV was better. However, I do regret not getting a set of Radians when they were being sold off cheap. They really were a bargain. Now you can't get them. I guess now all the swapping has ended those who want them aren't willing to let them go (much like LVWs which have taken me years to complete a set).

I wasn't a fan of the Radians' SAEP on bright objects (lunar and solar), so I went with Pentax XLs back in the late 90s.  The XLs also seemed to have more eye relief than their LVW counterparts, which was important to me as an astigmatic eyeglasses wearer.

I found the performance of the Radians that I owned varied slightly. The 2nd series 3mm was the best. I had a 1st series 3mm before it which was quite nice but the 2nd series one showed a brighter image and less light scatter - it seemed to have more effective coatings. The 4mm (a 2nd series) was good but it did show a faint halo of light extending out from the lunar limb, which was a little distracting. I didn't notice this halo when using the 3mm in the same circumstances.

12 hours ago, John said:

I believe the Delites are better performers overall but, if the eyepiece case is already full of Radians .......

I should probably just buy a Powermate shouldn’t I? Even I have just about given up, I have properly (read obsessively) looked. 

On 20/12/2023 at 16:17, Voxish said:

I have been looking for a 6 mm Radian for 2 years, rare things these days it seems. ABS used to be a wash with them, not anymore.

Mr Asperger here needs all his gear to match sadly, my own self imposed hell. 

I have the 6mm & 8mm Radians which I bought on this forum, there was a 6mm on Ebay a week ago, so they do appear from time to time, I do confirm, they are very good.  Good luck!