Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGL 2023 Animations Challenge

MartinB

A relatively small entry but the quality of all the entries was outstanding.  It felt pretty tough for some of the contributors not to be in the winners frame.

1) Tomato - Crab Nebula Pulsar

GifMaker_20231121204929268.gif.e2e58d4bfff2b59fba8e7c44e5d40e09.gif.55b59adf6995f32e8b781f14e743b057.gif

Probably the least aesthetically pleasing image ever to win an SGL challenge but this is a technical masterpiece.  I think Tomato must have been one of those lads at school who did wonderful things with Mecanao!  It first made itself known as a weird radio wave signal which eventually led to an understanding of pulsars.  For an amateur astronomer to be able to reveal the actual  pulsar flashing in this way  is mind blowing.  If you haven't seen the post in the challenge thread it is well worth having a look 

2) Clarkpm4242 Bonfire Night in Swaledale

The aurora is glorious.  Down in Swaledale people were marvelling at the wonderful things that can be done with gunpowder whilst up in the sky, unseen by the happy revellers, was a display of vastly greater magnificence.  

3) Minhlead - Jupiter 

Blink00001_.gif.e16bcf2e6804711a4e9dddedc5c5e3ec.gif.a4049c11f28ed586bbd1ef9a00f8947e.gif

We had some wonderful Jupiter animations including some with orbiting moons.  It was difficult to choose but we went for this one on account of its exquisite detail.

This is a challenge thread definitely worth having a look at https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/413297-sgl-2023-challenge-7-animations/

• Like 9

Thanks everyone, the gif quality is certainly not great, it comes out better when M1 is higher in the sky but it was the best data I could get before the challenge closing date.

I did indeed get a set 7 Meccano for Christmas back in 1971, the first thing I made was a model of the Lunar Rover.🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1