SGL4 - The Pellican's Eye

Paxo

Here's the final installment from Lucksall. Just to fill in a half hour or so before the astronomical dawn, swung the scope round to IC 5070 - the Pelican Nebula in Cygnus. This is a well defined HII emitting region so I popped an AstronomiK Ha 13nm filter (new edition so no halo's note)into the optical train, and went for 6x5 minute exposures (couldn't do longer due to intermittent guiding problems).

Here's the technical data:

Telescope: WO FLT110

Camera: Atik 314L

Guidescope: WO Megrez 72

Guidecamera: DSI II Pro

Mount: EQ6 Pro

Software: MaximDL, DSS, Photoshop CS3

Filter: 1.25" Astronomik HII, 13nm bandwidth

Pleased with the result given the exposure time and the number of them (5 of the 6 were usable).

Enjoy

Steve..

post-13953-133877369419_thumb.jpg

I thought this one would come out nicely when I saw it coming through.

If Billy is after a clip in Ha filter by astronomik, what are the chances it will be made of the new non halo filters?

I thought this one would come out nicely when I saw it coming through.

If Billy is after a clip in Ha filter by astronomik, what are the chances it will be made of the new non halo filters?

It's just a guess but as they are relatively new, they should be the 'improved' variety.

Steve..

I've waiting for this one and lo, I'm not disappointed :). For just 25 minutes that's pretty darn good. Of course, when the new toy arrives, I would imagine you'll be doing doing the whole shebang rather than just the eye no?

Tony..

This is good, Steve - the Pelican is often forgotten against its wonderful neighbour the North America Nebula but especially when you close in on it there are some really great smaller areas that deserve much closer inspection, especially around the 'neck' area.

Archived