Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

E 13 advice please

The Ethos 13mm gets so much praise and Im tempted but is it worth it on my SCT (Celestron SE8).

My eyepieces are on my sig line.

If the E13 is the way to go should I get a 2" and a new Star Diagonal to go with it or stick to the 1.25" setup?

So many goodies and so little money I need to get it right.

Clear skies

:)

The E13 is a fantastic EP.

It will sit happy in either 1.25 or 2" diagonal, but I would go for 2" if you can. It will feel more secure.

I have just purchased one second-hand and I am very pleased. As for use with an 8" scope I would go for it. I use mine with an 80mm APO and the views are fantastic.

The only thing you need to be aware of is the danger of wanting the others in the range. :)

Lee.

The Ethos 13 is a fabulous eyepiece but I would definately try and use it in 2" mode if you can. If I had to use it in a 1.25" diagonal it would have to be a well engineered one to ensure that it provides a secure place for the Ethos to sit.

You do run the risk of becoming a bit less satisfied with your other eyepieces if you get an Ethos of course !.

John

The Ethos is great. But....

If money's an issue and you have no plans to upgrade from a f/10 SCT i'd be tempted to wait a bit and see what other people come up with in the 90- to 100-degree AFOV market in the next year or so. With the Ethos, you're getting a 100-degree AFOV eyepiece that's well-corrected in fast (f/4) telescopes ... and while the 100-degree AFOV at high powers will be great in a SCT, your 'scope isn't very demanding on eyepieces and you don't necessarily need the performance level of the Ethos.

Historically, the 82-degree "ultrawide" market has developed a fairly wide range of prices and performance levels, some of which are far cheaper than the TeleVue Naglers but are fine in slower 'scopes. A cheaper 100-degree AFOV eyepiece is already hitting the market in the USA, and i'll bet we get Chinese clones at some point. They probably won't be quite Ethos quality, but will offer a large percentage of the bang for far less buck.

So you'll not regret buying an Ethos now (and, like most TeleVue eyepieces, they are very easy to sell again) but I wouldn't break the bank to buy one for a SCT, i'd hang on a bit to see what else turns up.

(As an aside, I'm wondering if Meade are still up to their "this one goes up to 11" eyepiece marketing - their superwides and ultrawides were always just slightly larger AFOVs than the Panoptic/Naglers, the 84-degree UWA rather than 82-degree Nagler. So the 101-degree Meade?? :) )

You might not see a huge difference between a 82 degree Nagler or UWAN compared to a 100 degree Ethos in a F10 scope.

Ethos's excel in faster scopes.

I've spent two nights (one with the prototype and one with the 1st production eyepiece) comparing a 13 Ethos with the new Explore Scientific 14mm 100 degree eyepiece and we were all pretty impressed. The 13 is a great eyepiece but the Explore 14 is just as amazing. I'm not sure when it will be available in Europe, I've asked the company but they're not sure. It will be out in the US in about a week. I love Naglers but keep your eye out for this one. And it costs a lot less. You can check out their info at Explore Scientific - Telescopes, Binoculars, Spotting Scopes, and Microscopes to Keep Exploring!

Clear Skies,

Joe

On my 12" LightBridge. We had a lot of trouble proving one was better than the other. We are trying to get to darker skies and do the same comparison. It's hard to try and get the one eyepiece in existence scheduled for viewing. Someone I know has been evaluating for an article on his website.

Joe

Archived