NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Thanks Elin....

Thanks for the comments, on inspection the scope has took the brunt by the looks. Focuser has snapped off, tube is dented, finder is knackered and primary mirror has shifted. Mount is soaked and few loose fittings hopefully it will start up when its fully dried off.

No garden ornaments were harmed lol..

• Sad 1

What a tragedy! My sincere condolences.

I'm afraid it's a little late to be offering advice, but there may be those in the crowd who risk following your example.

A suitable weight, hung low from a cord or chain, under the centre of the tripod has been used for centuries to resist tripods from tipping.
Commercial weights are offered but a sandbag or barbel weight are often used instead.
Leave the weight attached during observing for greater stability.
Use hooks in case you need to quickly detach the weight to easily move the kit elsewhere.

Do an image search for "tripod stabiliser weight "for lots of useful ideas.

Barbel weights could be threaded over the lower tripod legs if these are easily detachable.
You could avoid rust staining the tripod legs by sleeving them with PVC plumbing pipe and big plastic washers.

I have always preferred four legged stands rather than tripods.
The tipping radius between any two feet is greatly expanded with ever increasing numbers of legs.
Until the ground support ring becomes the full radius of a true circle. i.e. a round plate.

I once used a massive, cast iron pier from a drawing board stand. Far too heavy to lift!
Even that failed to resist toppling my anemometer mast in a storm.
So I added massive scrap metal weights to rest on the plate.

Any permanent cover for a telescope should be bound with cords to minimise wind drag and area exposed to the wind.

Guy lines from the top of the tripod down to the ground, following the slope of the tripod legs might be another idea.
Suitable ground anchors should carefully avoid tripping risks. Bent wire tent pegs would be rather inadequate.

My final suggestion would be a 4"-6"Ø steel pipe pier set in concrete. Not always doable.

BTW: Love your superb view! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Doubleplus ungood. 8-(

Only two ornaments are visible. Do you have all three?  Earache, headache and toothache that is.

Now hoping my Meade out in La Palma is not in a similar condition.

• Like 1

What an awful thing to find. I feel gutted for you.
Looking at what you can do.

A reflector scope is a simple instrument. If the glass is intact you can recover it. They work fine with paint chips and dents that you don't see in the dark.
Look in the classified ads on SGL for a focusser. Many people sell on the old focusser after upgrades.
The finder is not that difficult to replace.
Looking on the bright side this is a time to ask if you wanted to change the focus/finder arrangement?

Mount indoors asap and by the fire to drive off moisture. Use a hair dryer. It is also more pleasant than cold metal on your hands when dismantling.
If the electronics or motors are wet, remove the boards and motors. Rinse using IPA (isopropanol). This mixes with water and ensures you have dry circuits aftwerwards.
IPA is regulalry used for washing electronics nd won't harm anything. Unlike powerful solvents.
Do not be in a rush to 'just try' and power the mount. Give it a couple of days to thoroughly dry.
You can leave circuit boards and motors on top of a radiator without them coming to harm.
Bearings with water ingress have to be assessed as well.

Keep us posted and I'm sure you will receive lots of useful advice. Maybe even offers on replacements for the broken bits.

• Like 3