Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Binoculars, I need help making a decision

rwassell

I need help.

I recently dropped my trustworthy Helios Naturesport 10x50 and was advised by the shop I bought them from that they are unrepairable and I would need to buy new ones.

I have been doing a lot of research and the amount of choice and options are mind-blowing. I have ready so many guides now (including scopeviews & binocularsky) and I just can't decide what option is best.

I use the binoculars for looking at the night sky but also general usage as well for wildlife and general gazing in the distance. 10x50 seems to be the ideal.

I have found two particular binoculars Opticron Adventurer 10x50 T WP and Celestron Skymaster Pro 15x70, both of which get great reviews from binocularsky - and this is where I am split. 

For my budget of £250 I could get both of those and get the benefit of 10x50 for general usage but also 15x70 (I'd use a tripod) for astronomy gazing.

That sounds ideal, but, then I am thinking would it be better to get one pair of higher quality binoculars instead. But, considering they both get great reviews, would one pair for the same price really deliver that much better optical quality?

The next step up always seems to give a better warranty too which is another consideration. For instance, the warranty with Opticron is 2 years, but others like Hawke and Vortex have lifetime warranties.

So perhaps I would be better going for something like the Vortex Optics Diamondback HD 50mm for the same budget.

I did also wonder about going for a pair of 8x42 to provide even more flexibility in the hope I might be able to get my existing Helios re-collimated perhaps, but it may not be possible and may not be cost effective - and that brings me full circle again.

By writing this, I may have answered my own question, but part of me is still wondering whether it might be better to have different binoculars for different roles and perhaps by asking this question it may help others who are also battling with the same conundrum. 

Any thoughts, ideas and suggestions welcome.

Rob

p.s. I realise it would be best to try binoculars before I buy but there are no shops near me to try unfortunately.

Edited by rwassell

Hi Rob, if you got the 15*70s would they be tripod mounted? I have a fair selection of Binos acculumated over the years. I do like my 15*70s but your arms can get tired quite quickly. The 10*50s or 8*42s are ideal daytime binos. 

I would try and get the best I could afford 10*50s for everyday use and maybe consider a secondhand 15*70s for those longer Aston sessions.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thank you for your reply. That really helps.

Get the best 10x50's which I can use all the time makes sense and kind of confirms where my mind was going. Sometimes that the reassurance you need.

Also good idea for a secondhand pair of 15x70's. I'll keep my eyes open.

Rob

A couple of decent bins that fall within your budget are the Opticron I magic 10x50 ( about £190) and the Nikon Action EX 10x50 ( I have both but prefer the Nikons they just seem to me the better bin IMO ) they cost a bit more about £220

Also there's the Nikon Action 12x50 at a similar weight and brightness to the 10x50's cost a bit more again about £240

Hi Alan,

Thank you for your incredibly helpful reply.

I've been doing (even) more research this morning and I my mind is made up - I am going to go for the Nikon Action EX 10x50.

It gets superb reviews. Is within my price range. Its the optimal 10x50 I was looking for. It's rated by other forum members = ideal.

Regards,

Rob

No probs and you wont go far wrong getting the Nikons i really like mine 👍

Im pretty sure Steve Tonkin (binocular sky) did a review for Sky at night magazine called six of the best a couple years ago and the Nikons were compared with 5 other bins and came out on top

• Like 1

Alan, 

I tried to find the 6 of the best. I found a link on binocularsky.com linking to the sky at night website but it returned page not found.

I found it on the internet archive instead: https://web.archive.org/web/20190402035718/http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/review/binoculars/best-10x50-binoculars

The Nikon's score 4.5 out of 5 which again just confirms how much of a good choice they are 🙂

Rob

• Like 1

The Nikon 10x50 is a good choice. Great all-round bins. If you get binocular aperture fever, I would seriously consider something like second-hand Helios Apollo 15x70s, or similar, because they are WAY better than the Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (and similar cheap ones). The Celestron is certainly not bad for the money (I had a lot of fun with mine), but they are really 15x64mm bins due to under-sized prisms and various internal baffles. Besides, they do not hold collimation that well. By contrast, the Apollos are built like a tank, and are optically far superior. I currently have the even better Helios LightQuest 16x80s, and they are superb.

• Like 2

Hi Rob.

To go back to your opening post, a thought from a long certified scrooge.

What is the problem with the existing binos? Is some glass broken? Body bent? Or just out of collimation?

Who told you they were not repairable? A general retailer will have no idea. An astro shop will give an informed response.

Assuming you are prepared to have a go, there is nothing to lose by taking them apart yourself.
I have seen binos where the prisms are held by a spring clamp, then hard glue to retain in place.  After a drop, the glue fails and the prisms move.
Slide them back to the correct place - the glue line - and apply a bit of new glue.
If the bino body is distorted, that is a different story.
Like I say, nothing to lose by trying - you have already declared the binos scrap.

HTH, David.

• Like 3

Dear all,

Thank you so much for your replies.

I am so glad I asked this original question as it has really helped me consider all the options and I've made a decision.

My existing Helios Naturesport 10x50 WA binoculars have served me well and until I dropped them they were fine. FLO recommended Action Optics. I got in touch with Richard and he says he can repair them. Those binoculars are now in the post. This makes economical sense as it will be cheaper to repair than buy new. These binoculars are good for general day to day usage and also viewing the night skies.

(Thank you, David, for your suggestion. I did try taking them apart and I can see the prism and the bracket but I wanted to entrust them to an expert, hopefully Richard at AO can fix them)

This process has also convinced me I would like a pair of 15x70's for additional cosmic-viewing options. Thank you Stormbringer and Bosun for recommending the Helios Apollo's. I searched FLO's website and lo-and-behold, there were a pair of second hand Helios Apollo High Resolution 70mm Binoculars 15x70. They are very highly rated, including on BinocularSky. What a deal. So I have bought them!

(Thank you, Alan, for the link. I couldn't see what it linked to as I don't have permission, but, I am sure I am going to be pleased with the Apollo's)

So, if this all works out as planned, I'll get my old bins fixed and an exceptional pair of new bins for less than my original budget to replace a set of bins that I only had to replace because I dropped them in the first place! 

Thank you for your help everybody!

p.s. and, if i do need a set of new 10x50 bins in the future, I know that the Nikon's are the ones to go for.

• Like 3

Sorry i didnt realise you didnt have access to the classified adds on here 

yes it was a pair of helios apollo 15x70 with tripod and pistol grip head

but cool on you getting the apollo's from FLO  i dont think youl be disappointed with them  👍

I would suggest something along the lines of 1 of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/walimex-FT-011H-Ball-Head-Action/dp/B001TR4DBA/ref=sr_1_20?crid=2G94R93JDNPC3&keywords=pistol+grip+tripod&qid=1702138910&sprefix=pistol+grip+tripod+head%2Caps%2C93&sr=8-20

the 1 linked to above is a bit on pricey side but thats the idea of what to look for with a camera tripod

• Like 1

I think its to do with post count 

it may be after 10 posts you get access to the classifieds but not sure on how many tho 

Yeh the classified i linked to i think is an extremely good buy but there wouldnt be any guarantee with them but you get 6 months with the 1's from FLO

Alan,

I was thinking about that last night, funnily enough. That there is always a risk when buying from classified ads, whereas FLO provide a guarantee which gives peace of mind. Plus I already have a decent tripod and I have a link to the tripod pistol grip mount from Amazon - I am happy with that.

Thank you for your help. I'll get my post count up and I'll look at the classified ads from time to time so I may further enhance my equipment list.

Rob

Thank you for all the replies. I am in no hurry to be able to access the classified ads and will just wait until such a time as that naturally happens. In fact, it is probably best I can't access it, especially right now just before Christmas, otherwise I'd probably try to justify why I should buy myself more presents 🙂

• Haha 2

On 07/12/2023 at 23:07, bosun21 said:

Another thumbs up for the Helios Apollo 15x70's. Excellent binocular.

Are the Helios Stellar the same as the Apollo's, FLO just list the Stellar range in the larger binoculars.

RVO also list the LightQuest in the larger sizes (15 x 70, 16 & 20 x 80), but these are roughly twice the price of the Stellar range.

John 

10 minutes ago, johnturley said:

Are the Helios Stellar the same as the Apollo's, FLO just list the Stellar range in the larger binoculars.

RVO also list the LightQuest in the larger sizes (15 x 70, 16 & 20 x 80), but these are roughly twice the price of the Stellar range.

John 

The Apollo 15x70 are superior to the Stellar range and slightly below the Lightquest range. I bought mine new from Harrison Telescopes who actually drop shipped them from OVL. They cost me £259 as below. 

Screenshot_20231211-102638.thumb.png.5a02f7a804f9d6c62b402711c9b08d94.png

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

The Apollo 15x70 are superior to the Stellar range and slightly below the Lightquest range. I bought mine new from Harrison Telescopes who actually drop shipped them from OVL. They cost me £259 as below. 

Screenshot_20231211-102638.thumb.png.5a02f7a804f9d6c62b402711c9b08d94.png

Thanks for the info

Most suppliers don't stock the Apollo Range, just the Stellar II and the LightQuest, Harrison Telescopes appear one of the few that do.

John 

• Like 1