Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M81 and M82

SwiMatt

After few sessions of searching, tonight I finally got for the first time a splendid view of Bode's galaxy and the Cigar galaxy! To commemorate the event, I sketched it in pastels. To make this sketch even more special, while I could barely see what I was doing in the dark (I definitely trusted the process), when I saw it in the light I didn't feel it needed any touch up: the sketch was very close to what I saw in the eyepiece.

I wanna thank all the people who encouraged me in the past few days in my search for these two galaxies, sharing tips and inspiration. You know who you are 😁

20231205_214118-01.jpeg

• Like 23

Great sketch and report !!!

M81 and 82 were the first galaxies I ever saw with a scope, even before I found M31. That was a long, long time ago but I still get a thrill to see them again now 🙂

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, John said:

Great sketch and report !!!

M81 and 82 were the first galaxies I ever saw with a scope, even before I found M31. That was a long, long time ago but I still get a thrill to see them again now 🙂

Thanks! :)

Such a beautiful view for first galaxies :biggrin:For me, even in these amazing skies, I find M31 more impressive in the binoculars than I do in my Mak. M81 and M82 however are spectacular in the eyepiece - a target that I will visit again and again, no doubt!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SwiMatt said:

After few sessions of searching, tonight I finally got for the first time a splendid view of Bode's galaxy and the Cigar galaxy! To commemorate the event, I sketched it in pastels. To make this sketch even more special, while I could barely see what I was doing in the dark (I definitely trusted the process), when I saw it in the light I didn't feel it needed any touch up: the sketch was very close to what I saw in the eyepiece.

I wanna thank all the people who encouraged me in the past few days in my search for these two galaxies, sharing tips and inspiration. You know who you are 😁

20231205_214118-01.jpeg

They say that the first time is the best but I still get a thrill observing these many years later.

• Like 4