NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I am torn…128 vs 126

Available to me I have an FS128 as soon as I am ready, always been what I considered a dream scope. Unfortunately in the trade for it I would loose my beloved TSA-102, what I also consider a rare and special scope, I want a larger frac and the 128 fits the bill but I find it hard to loose my 102. Here’s the other option available at this moment, there is a fellow offering his WO Z126 flourite doublet with what he describes as perfect optics producing wonderful stars at high powers. This means that I would be able to keep my 102 as taking the FS128 would involve trading my 102 plus an amout of money which equals the cost of the Z126. What do you have to say about the WO Z126? would you miss the FS128 if you had to give it up for the Z126 flourite doublet? the 128 Tak and WO 126 are both flourite doublets but would the 128 be that much better that it would justify loosing my 102 for? i eagerly await your opinions! And I already know exactly what @JeremyS will have to say 😅

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

• Sunshine changed the title to I am torn…128 vs 126
2 minutes ago, Alan White said:

But I do also have an inkling what Mr S aka @JeremyS might have to say.

He is lurking here, resisting the urge to chime in l, I have caught him off guard with my remark, he feels like a caged animal at this moment but soon the floodgate will open 😂

Edited by Sunshine
  • Haha 5

I have no knowledge of the WO Z126 but I had a TSA102 and FS128 at the same time for over 10 years.

I used the TSA on a Vixen GP, the FS128 NEEDED a Vixen GPDX and a Berlebach tripod, so it’s a heavier setup.

The views through the FS128 beat those through the TSA on all objects and the colour vibrancy in the FS128 was excellent.

I would totally, unreservedly and enthusiastically  recommend the FS if you are OK with the higher weight setup.

IMG_1924.thumb.jpeg.2634dc4f55f07dd00248fdbce8b30c48.jpeg

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

I have no knowledge of the WO Z126 but I had a TSA102 and FS128 at the same time for over 10 years.

I used the TSA on a Vixen GP, the FS128 NEEDED a Vixen GPDX and a Berlebach tripod, so it’s a heavier setup.

The views through the FS128 beat those through the TSA on all objects and the colour vibrancy in the FS128 was excellent.

I would totally, unreservedly and enthusiastically  recommend the FS if you are OK with the higher weight setup.

My alt az mount can handle the 128 without breaking a sweat, thanks for the reply, highly valued from such a seasoned refractor aficionado.

• Like 1

Just now, Captain Scarlet said:

It’s never the right time when a rare opportunity arises. Do whatever you can to keep the 102 and most certainly get the FS128. It’ll hurt for now, but that will subside.

M

Im sure the lump on the side of my head will heal, my wife is Italian, i have to tread lightly.

• Haha 8

@Sunshine I agree with other comments, take some pain and get the FS-128. They don’t come up often and will hold their value so not much to lose and I’m sure you won’t regret it.

As an aside, I think I’m right in saying that even though described as Fluorite, the WO scopes are actually fpl-53 ie not fluorite. I’m sure someone will confirm or correct that soon!

My FS-128 caused me some pain but I don’t regret it at all, even though the weather has given me limited opportunity to use it, it’s not going anywhere! 👍

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

So wait, there’s synthetic flourite, real floutite, and Fpl-53 which is synthetic flourite? meaning the WO is not actually flourite? confused.

No, if you look it is fpl-53, WO just market it as synthetic fluorite which I don’t agree with.

• Like 1

Delurking….

I’m sure the WO is a very fine scope. But it is not a Tak. I think you’d always be hankering after a Tak. So the (WO + TSA) vs FS is a false dichotomy. 
If you really can’t go for both Taks then the FS 128 is the answer. 
But I’m glad I’m not the one that would have to let one of the worlds greatest triplets go - the TSA 102 is a dream scope.

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1