Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Mount Servicing

dazza1639

I'm looking for a bit of advice, I have an original Skywatcher EQ8 sat in my observatory and it is starting to show its age after 8 years. Guiding has always performed brilliantly with an RMS of around 0.5". However, of the last month or so, the guiding performance seems to have dropped of a cliff, RMS averaging 1.6". The stars still look pretty round but subs keep getting aborted as i get guiding spikes that are taking it over the 2.5" guide limit. 

I have, in the past, adjusted the dec & ra worm gears but i think it may be time for a thorough service by a professional who can take the time to do it properly and do a full strip, regrease and perhaps upgrade the worm gears & bearings. 

I was looking at the stellardrive upgrade by darkframe optics, however, I do not appear to be getting a respone to my emails. I have also seen some pretty negative reviews as well as some really positive ones. 

Is there any alternative to Dark Frame or are they still the best option?

I had this same EQ8 mount for a few years, and it performed well, but the DEC backlash was a bit of an issue, I adjusted it myself and it was ok, but not great, BUT please don’t use DFO, I did try them with an EQ6 I had before, and had a nightmare of a time with them, really bad, I won’t go into details here, just to say that they are totally useless with communication and delivering on time, and if you are lucky enough to even get your mount back, there is a good chance it will be worse than when you sent it…

There is a place in Ireland that do full refurbs on these mounts, and also very good upgrades, clutches, and bearing and shafts… they were offering full strip down and re builds with premium parts, plus a full spring loaded worm drive option, but it was not cheap, the guy that runs it is on here and his name is @tonyowens_uk

On a side not if you have any issues with your clutches, I have two brand new ones that I will be selling…

• Sad 1

You might like to talk to AWR Technology. They are in Kent.
I know of them as they put the goto in my Alter D6.
I know they offer all sorts of other mount work, right up to bi observatory work. Suggesting good mechanical skills.
Costs you only an email or phone call to talk and see?

HTH, David.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, I am really nervous now about using DFO, even though they said they could do it by Christmas or New Year. Which even without seeing the reviews, I thought it was optimistic. I have also contacted Rother Valley, they said the earliest they could book it in was Mid Jan or Feb. They would need to consult the workshop and get me a price and date. This again makes me a little nervous. But as they are only in Sheffield its not too far for me to drop off & collect.

1 hour ago, dazza1639 said:

Thanks everyone, I am really nervous now about using DFO, even though they said they could do it by Christmas or New Year. Which even without seeing the reviews, I thought it was optimistic. I have also contacted Rother Valley, they said the earliest they could book it in was Mid Jan or Feb. They would need to consult the workshop and get me a price and date. This again makes me a little nervous. But as they are only in Sheffield its not too far for me to drop off & collect.

I would go for RVO.

• Like 1