Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best guide for using binoculars

Moonshed

I have just sold all my Astro gear and now rely solely on my bins for stargazing, I have a Canon 10x30 IS and a Bresser Hunter 10x50,  and getting a great deal of enjoyment out of using them I must say. While rummaging around in my astro shed I came across an unused Philip’s Star Chart which I feel will come in handy as my bins don’t have a GOTO function for some strange reason 🤪.

I would really appreciate some advice on which book/s to buy for binocular use that highlight interesting objects to observe and how to locate them. Although I do know my way around the sky it all looks so different through the bins, and when observing star clusters so much better than through the scope.

Cheers

Keith

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Beulah said:

For a free and excellent resource I highly recommend Steve Tonkin's Binocular Sky https://binocularsky.com/

There are also monthly newsletters with the best targets to look out for. 

Thank you, the book looks perfect for the job and the author really knows his subject well. That’s just what I am looking for. I’ll leave a note for Santa!

The website is going to prove very useful, I have no doubt of that.

Thanks a lot,

Keith

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonshed said:

I have just sold all my Astro gear and now rely solely on my bins for stargazing, I have a Canon 10x30 IS and a Bresser Hunter 10x50,  and getting a great deal of enjoyment out of using them I must say. While rummaging around in my astro shed I came across an unused Philip’s Star Chart which I feel will come in handy as my bins don’t have a GOTO function for some strange reason 🤪.

I would really appreciate some advice on which book/s to buy for binocular use that highlight interesting objects to observe and how to locate them. Although I do know my way around the sky it all looks so different through the bins, and when observing star clusters so much better than through the scope.

Cheers

Keith

I admire that you sold off what you wanted to sell off and are enjoying observing on your terms! Well done 🎉

I highly recommend the Astronomical League Observing Programs: https://www.astroleague.org/alphabeticobserving/ I've completed a few of them and especially find the Deep Sky Binocular Observing Program to be a joy. The summer Milky Way, a pair of binoculars, an atlas, and an observing list... Ah, such fond memories!

Edited by The60mmKid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The60mmKid said:

I admire that you sold off what you wanted to sell off and are enjoying observing on your terms! Well done 🎉

I highly recommend the Astronomical League Observing Programs: https://www.astroleague.org/alphabeticobserving/ I've completed a few of them and especially find the Deep Sky Binocular Observing Program to be a joy. The summer Milky Way, a pair of binoculars, an atlas, and an observing list... Ah, such fond memories!

Thanks for the link to astroleague, it looks to be an interesting site with some very enjoyable looking observing programs. I reckon I am going to have to join! 

Thanks again.

Keith

PS Totally agree with your comment about the summer Milky Way and a pair of binoculars etc. You can’t beat it! So glad now  I sold my heavy scope and instead can pop outdoors at a moments notice and start observing immediately, something I have missed for many years but didn’t realise it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Moonshed said:

PS Totally agree with your comment about the summer Milky Way and a pair of binoculars etc. You can’t beat it! So glad now  I sold my heavy scope and instead can pop outdoors at a moments notice and start observing immediately, something I have missed for many years but didn’t realise it.

Clear night hikes with binos are an experience not to be missed. 

• Like 2

After some time away and not feeling it, I came across this post earlier this evening and have just been out with the binoculars to view the night sky.

Thank you for the inspiration @Moonshed, your post has made a difficult week a better one. 👍

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My new book “Binocular Astronomy” by Stephen Tonkin arrived today and after a quick perusal have to say I am really pleased with it. Thanks to those of you for recommending it, I can’t wait to get started but fear the weather is going to delay that for some time to come.

Thanks again

Keith

• Like 2

On 24/11/2023 at 19:32, DPF said:

After some time away and not feeling it, I came across this post earlier this evening and have just been out with the binoculars to view the night sky.

Thank you for the inspiration @Moonshed, your post has made a difficult week a better one. 👍

Hi @DPF,

There is nothing like getting the bins out and doing a little stargazing to lift the spirits. Hope things are going better this week.

All the best, Keith

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Earl Grey Tea said:

I'm new to this group and love using my old 10by50's for stargazing. Any advice for good stargazing targets with binocs?

Welcome to the forum 😊

I think Open Clusters are a great place to start. Many different ones around such as the Double Cluster, M45 and the Auriga Clusters M36, 37 and 38. M35 in Gemini is great too. Orion is fab, both the sword obviously, but also the belt has a lovely S shape between Mintaka and Alnilam.

There are also the Stock and Melotte catalogues to work through eg Stock 2 near the DC and Mel 111.

• Like 1